SEL351S Watts & Vars

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG-1

I have a SEL 351S Protective Relay & a Bank of electro-mechanical Panel meters. At Unity PF both the relay & meters read nearly the same.
When I shifted the voltage 120 degrees by moving:
A-Phase Voltage to the relays B-Phase Input

B-Phase Voltage to the relays C-Phase Input

C-Phase Voltage to the relays A-Phase Input

I am at a loss trying to reconcile the relays numbers with the bank of meters. By my thinking this voltage shift should be into LEAD as indicated by the PF Meter sketch. I do not understand how the Watts & Vars add up to be greater than the Watts at Unity. At .5 PF I would expect that the watts & Vars would be equal.

Looks like the Varmeter may have a wiring issue, that is yet unresolved because it is reading low. The electro-mechanical panel meters use 2 currents A & C for measurements. The low reading on A-phase current is a test set anomaly.

Attachments

• SEL351S_UnityPF.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SEL351S_120PhaseShift.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

mach531

I would expect watts and vars to be equal at 0.7pf or cos(45).

Also, it looks like your sequence is ACB....what is your PHROT setting in the relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG-1

Thanks mach531

I made the attached chart & see that I have exceeded the limits of the electro-mechanical PF meter. It reads Unity at the 12 o'clock position & only goes to .5 in either direction + or- 60 degrees. The .5 LAG or LEAD would be 60 degrees. I am now thinking the 120 degree shift is driving the indicator all the way around to the opposite .5 reading & hence the SEL -.5 LAG reading (120 degrees). How to prove ? I think a 360 degree diagram of a electro-mechanical PF meter might help.

This is probably the issue with the VAR Panel meter too. How to prove ??

Attachments

• WATTcosVARsin20180723_07495267.pdf
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.