Tap Receptacle Branch Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alecto

I believe receptacles are generally wired in series right?

If I want to add more receptacles to an existing receptacle branch circuit, how is this usually done, just tap from any existing receptacle to the new ones?

Thanks

jumper

If I want to add more receptacles to an existing receptacle branch circuit, how is this usually done, just tap from any existing receptacle to the new ones?

Thanks

Sorta, in series with the breaker, but in parallel with each other.

Your electrician will understand.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, electrically (how the conductors get connected to them) they are parallel to one another.

Series or "daisy chained" with respect to routing of raceways or cables is common though.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I temporarily closed this thread, thinking it might be a DIY situation. I received a PM from the OP, explaining that this is a work-related question. I am now reopening the thread. I offer my apologies to the OP for the delay and inconvenience.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The "how is it done" will depend on how the existing branch circuits are wired, and how the associated conduits are routed. The electrician doing the installation will have to determine where to tap into the existing circuit. If you wish to describe the process in the study report you are writing, I would suggest using the "precision ambiguity" approach (an invention of my own, but feel free to plagiarize). The concept is to admit that there are unknowns, while asserting that you are aware of exactly what things are unknown.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Electrically speaking, receptacles are wired in parallel. A switch is wired in series with its load.

Receptacles are usually wired in a daisy-chain configuration, which is why they have two terminals per side.

One could call the physical wiring of cable from receptacle to receptacle as being serially wired.

Yes, wiring the new cable in parallel with the existing one(s). If you're adding a new cable where there are already two, make joints to avoid trying to connect more than one wire per terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.