40 amp dryer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Other than the fact that they ay have used an old range circuit I have no idea why it would be on a 40 amp circuit. 30 amp is what is required.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've also seen 60 amps range circuits and other circuits that are incorrectly protected. If I'm doing a panel change, I automatically correct these situations. Otherwise, I strongly suggest to the HO that they change them to avoid a fire. Just the other day I came across a 20 amp water heater (with #12 wires) on a 30 amp breaker.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Back in the day large 36" electric ranges with two ovens were popular. My parents had one and the 50A circuit and receptacle is still there. I've since converted to gas.

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Actually, in the 50s, there was a dryer that took a 50amp circuit. The concept did not last long, but I think it was to mimic a gas dryer in speed. Someone older may remember it.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not to code, but if you ask me thats a none issue. Common practice in Canada.

:? I don't see how you can say protecting a 20 amp circuit with a 30 amp breaker is a non-issue. Don't we discuss putting the proper sized breaker on circuits all the time.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
:? I don't see how you can say protecting a 20 amp circuit with a 30 amp breaker is a non-issue. Don't we discuss putting the proper sized breaker on circuits all the time.

The heater isn't a receptacle- more load can not be added to the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.