Six Switch Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues

I have two services (1) 120/208V & (1) 480/277V. Distribution equipment for both are grouped in the same main electrical room. My question is may I use the six switch rule for the two services combined. Or can each service have a maximum of six service disconnection means.

Thank You

RICK NAPIER

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard or in switchgear. There shall be not more than six sets

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have two services (1) 120/208V & (1) 480/277V. Distribution equipment for both are grouped in the same main electrical room. My question is may I use the six switch rule for the two services combined. Or can each service have a maximum of six service disconnection means.

Thank You
Can you and should you are two different questions, also there might be an issue with the local fire department that modifies the code. I wouldn't design a system that way, myself, but I would install it if the customer directed me to.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's quite common to have large services with no mains and several service disconnects in each service. On our last 4 projects with multiple 4000 amp services not one had a main and each service had up to 6 service disconnects, sometimes more than 6 if there were fire pumps involved.

230.71 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard or in switchgear. There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location

I finished quoting that section as that is the important part. You may have 6 disconnects for EACH service, grouped in one location.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Pity the poor fire fighter that goes there to kill power while his crew is swinging axes risking their lives, and finds that he has to turn off 24 circuit breakers to make them safe...

Again, just because you can doesn’t mean you should!

victor.cherkashi

Pity the poor fire fighter that goes there to kill power while his crew is swinging axes risking their lives, and finds that he has to turn off 24 circuit breakers to make them safe...

Again, just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Add to these 24 breakers/switches, the tenant's UPS systems which could not have EPO buttons (it's not mandatory by NEC). They should be ready to face hot wires.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.