kA Ratings for multiple cabled phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregwhite999

I was wondering if anyone could help, I am currently looking to prove out a selection of connectors which have a 16kA rating these are the camlock type. The system in question could be higher so around 40kA.

if for instance you had 1000A on a phase but split this between 5 cables, with hypothetically an even distribution of current on each so 200A would you keep the kA rating the same or can you lower it as its spread across cables?

I have tried to look for codes on this but I cannot find any.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
For a downstream fault, the current will split according to the actual impedance of each cable. Hypothetically, you can say the fault current will divide equally. However, for a fault on the circuit being paralleled, in general, the current will not divide equally but the cable is already damaged from the fault so rather inconsequential. There could be instances where the parallel cable runs are separated from each other and one set could be replaced thus making the other set reusable, assuming it withstood the fault current. Thus, it that circumstance each set should be able to carry the total fault current.

Status
Not open for further replies.