NEC 690.31(G) PV conductors Entering Building - Rapid shutdown count as disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)]Solar PV Electrical Code question:In both NEC 2014 and 2017, 690.31(G) says that when entering a building, all PV DC conductors need to be in metal raceway to the first "Readily Accessible Disconnecting means". We also have our rapid shutdown requirements, 690.12, which can be met with Optimizers. If we are using Optimizers to meet the requirement for rapid shutdown, would they also count as a disconnect means for the purposes of 690.31(G)? Of course the prudent answer (and strict code interpretation) is probably no, but I would be very interested in hearing some perspectives on this one. Should this be updated for NEC 2020 for clarity? What would be the real life safety scenarios that would make 690.31(G) relevant when rapid shutdown is employed?[/COLOR]

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I haven't tested this with any AHJs, but the more general question is whether 690.31(G) even applies to optimizer output circuits. It applies to PV source and output circuits, which are connected directly to modules. Optimizer circuits were totally unaddressed until the 2017. I don't have my book in front of me but I recall correctly they are not listed. Under previous codes there's less to go on.

Your question about rapid shutdown is totally reasonable but I haven't tried testing the waters. Very rare that I would prefer to run romex for optimizers anyways.

Thanks. It's actually not so much about the need for running romex. it is 1000v, on a commercial building, so it would be PV wire anyway. the particular project I'm working on, is a BiPV curtainwall system, and it's not about having long runs of PVWIRE runnign through the building not in conduit, but more it's about some of the detailing on the wire routing on the inside of the building just inside the window frame mullions, and not having to have every bit of the route encased would be helpful.... seems like this is a bit of legacy code that didn't get updated for the rapid shutdown requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.