Non contact tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I learned to not presume hot-switching years ago. Richmond has many turn-of-the-century houses that were originally built with no wiring.

Tony S

A friend of mine is working on a large project in the US. After finding a couple of electricians using non-contact detectors to prove isolation he banned the detectors from the site.

I did the same on a UK project.

They have their uses, but not as an isolation check.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Training I am getting here in UK will not allow non contact or neon screwdriver.., says neither reliable... plus it is always prove-test-prove... every time...
Your European consumer-protection police and anti-exploitation laws are avoiding the best marketing gimmicks, scams, non-stop Robo calls, experimental-medical devices, drug interactions, & self-driving artificial intelligence available to us Yanks across the pond.

You’ll never know the freedom of alowing others to exploit us. We get benefits you’ll never see: oodles of junk mail clogging the post box, and unlimmited email spam from automatic registration on every sucker list imaginable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Training I am getting here in UK will not allow non contact or neon screwdriver.., says neither reliable... plus it is always prove-test-prove... every time...
OSHA agrees with that. They are not permitted here to be use to prove the de-energized state.

Adamjamma

Well, I miss the coupons every week in the mailbox and the ability to leave my mail in my mailbox instead of searching for a post box where I can park near it to send mail... but... I don’t miss the 50 buck co pay to see the doctor or the two hundred bucks a month for the inhaler needed due to asbestos in a sub thirty five years ago..lol... here it costs me 7.57...

kwired

Electron manager
Well, I miss the coupons every week in the mailbox and the ability to leave my mail in my mailbox instead of searching for a post box where I can park near it to send mail... but... I don’t miss the 50 buck co pay to see the doctor or the two hundred bucks a month for the inhaler needed due to asbestos in a sub thirty five years ago..lol... here it costs me 7.57...

Copay's and drugs are all over the place here price wise - all depends on what insurance you are paying for. If you want to spend less on insurance you usually end up paying more out of pocket before insurance kicks in, is kind of the bottom line. This can be good if you are in great health and don't expect to need much medical care though. If you know you are going to have somewhat regular health care bills, then you get a plan with lower deductibles, lower copays, etc. but you will have higher insurance, as they are taking that higher payment and paying the remainder of what is left after you paid your low copay, and lower deductible. Good thing is it is easier for some to manage a known monthly payment than it is to suddenly have a high medical bill here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.