FIELD TERMINATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIELD TERMINATION

Anyone happen to have a pic of a MV termination with this cold shrink similar to the one they are asking for here? Thanks.
    Attached Files

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...294890163&rt=d
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Thanks that does help. I did see that on 3M but was just wondering if someone had a pic of an actual field termination

Edit- I did just find this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgRQnMIOP0
      Last edited by mstrlucky74; 09-15-18, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
        Thanks that does help. I did see that on 3M but was just wondering if someone had a pic of an actual field termination

Edit- I did just find this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgRQnMIOP0
        They didn't show making the cuts through the layers of insulation and shield. That requires as much or more skill than putting on the termination body.
        Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

When we were working on a new power plant, all the guys that did the MV terminations had to go to a class before they could install them in the field. IIRC, it took about 1/2 hour for each termination. It wasn't a race.
          Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Depends on wire size, where, when, putting them on.
            Lighting by flashlights, car head lights, indoors good lighting.
            Cold, wet, windy, indoors and nice.
            If your men have never done this it will take more time and better add extra term kits.

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
              If your men have never done this it will take more time and better add extra term kits.
              If the cuts are made wrong to the point of having to be re-done, that will mean a possible re-pull of the conductor. I strongly recommend having someone with experience doing this, or it could get costly and time consuming with one cut made too deep.
              Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

An example of the cutting.

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
                  Cold and wet is a big enemy. We were working outside in the winter and the EC actually built heated tents at the termination sites so the insulation would stay pliable. Just setting up the tents was time consuming, and the tents and the heat had to be taken down and moved as the job progressed around the plant.
                  Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

For those familiar I imagine lugs would be part of the 5kv gear and not have to be pressed onto the wire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by K8MHZ View Post
                      An example of the cutting.

Confused a little so is that the end of say a 500mcm cable or just a piece?

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
                        Confused a little so is that the end of say a 500mcm cable or just a piece?

That's just a piece of it for the sake of the video. If it were a real installation, it would take longer because you just can't flip the conductor around like shown in the video. Since you can't rotate a field installed conductor, some of the work will have to be done on the 'blind side'.

If your role is simply estimating, you should make it a requirement that the terminators have been properly trained. Or maybe even properly certified.

http://www.electricaltrainingallianc...gCertification
                        Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

There were nearly 100 sparkies on the job where the MV terms. were done and only 6 made it through the training and certification. I don't know how many tried, but I think one or two just couldn't 'make the cut', pun intended. Doing the cuts takes a very steady hand, lest you nick the next layer and brick the termination.
                          Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by K8MHZ View Post
                            it took about 1/2 hour for each termination. It wasn't a race.
                            Thirty years ago the old style 11kV paper-lead terminations would take me about six hours. It would have been far easier if we had cold shrink back then.
                            [COLOR=#000000]The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X