FIELD TERMINATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Anyone happen to have a pic of a MV termination with this cold shrink similar to the one they are asking for here? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Depends on wire size, where, when, putting them on.
Lighting by flashlights, car head lights, indoors good lighting.
Cold, wet, windy, indoors and nice.
If your men have never done this it will take more time and better add extra term kits.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
If your men have never done this it will take more time and better add extra term kits.

If the cuts are made wrong to the point of having to be re-done, that will mean a possible re-pull of the conductor. I strongly recommend having someone with experience doing this, or it could get costly and time consuming with one cut made too deep.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician

Cold and wet is a big enemy. We were working outside in the winter and the EC actually built heated tents at the termination sites so the insulation would stay pliable. Just setting up the tents was time consuming, and the tents and the heat had to be taken down and moved as the job progressed around the plant.

mstrlucky74

For those familiar I imagine lugs would be part of the 5kv gear and not have to be pressed onto the wire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Confused a little so is that the end of say a 500mcm cable or just a piece?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's just a piece of it for the sake of the video. If it were a real installation, it would take longer because you just can't flip the conductor around like shown in the video. Since you can't rotate a field installed conductor, some of the work will have to be done on the 'blind side'.

If your role is simply estimating, you should make it a requirement that the terminators have been properly trained. Or maybe even properly certified.

http://www.electricaltrainingalliance.org/training/CableSplicingCertification

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
There were nearly 100 sparkies on the job where the MV terms. were done and only 6 made it through the training and certification. I don't know how many tried, but I think one or two just couldn't 'make the cut', pun intended. Doing the cuts takes a very steady hand, lest you nick the next layer and brick the termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.