battery charger load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

I am getting ready to do a job for a scooter charger station.

They want enough circuits and amps to run 40 two amp battery chargers at the same time.

I don't think the chargers will all pull the full 2 amps continuously, but I am not sure how battery chargers work.

Any info would be helpful.

hardworker

I am getting ready to do a job for a scooter charger station.

They want enough circuits and amps to run 40 two amp battery chargers at the same time.

I don't think the chargers will all pull the full 2 amps continuously, but I am not sure how battery chargers work.

Any info would be helpful.

How do I get the input rating? I put an amp meter on a single 2 amp charger and it showed .5 amp while charging.

retirede

How do I get the input rating? I put an amp meter on a single 2 amp charger and it showed .5 amp while charging.

Manual or nameplate.

c6f2be22fc4bf2dd82dff20ada07c483.jpg

victor.cherkashi

One way: assume it's continues load, you can load 20A circuit breaker up to 16A, it's 8 chargers on one circuit breaker. Check the spec for additional requirements such GFCI, max circuit breaker ampacity, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Type of battery and charger can come into play some. Simple charger like the one pictured a few posts back - the more discharged state the battery is in, the more it draws, totally dead or even shorted battery may draw more than charger rating, but it very well has overload protection and won't do so for very long. As battery becomes more charged the charging current drops. Simple transformer as the main component in such a charger is going to draw a certain amount of primary current even if there is little or no charging current flowing.

Higher tech batteries and chargers can have completely different methods and intentionally force high rate of charge even if battery voltage is near full volts.

adnj

You can calculate worst case if 2 amps per charger or you can consider a diversity factor. All scooters may or may not be connected at the same time. All scooters may or may not be drawing full current because of partial charging.

For such a small project, I would play it safe and put 8 chargers max on a 20A circuit.

I would also plan on one extra circuit.

I would add a 2 pole switch with pilot lamp to each circuit so that you don't have energized charger cables laying around.

4 duplex outlets per circuit with a total of six circuits. You'll probably need a 70A+ main just in case they plug in a compressor or something else while charging.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.