480/208 Transformer Hum/Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

geofhowe

New User
Bad buzzing from the main facility transformer!!!
Long story short...
I am troubleshooting this. My maintenance supervisor brings a shop vac over, vacuums the transformer off and around the inside of the enclosure (power on).

Buzzing gone. Extra heat gone. Clean that old transformer!

I work in a 30+ year old facility. Our main transformer located inside the wall starting BUZZing loudly this morning and seemed to be producing extra heat. I know the difference between healthy hum (low bassy, solid sound) and a problem sounding buzz (sharp, mechanical). What was it?
I took a piece a plastic hose, held it to my ear and poked around. Definitely the middle coil area more at the top.
Hoping it is not plate delamination - this is annoying but not a show stopper. Must check load balance and then leakage, right?
Loads are pretty close. I started planning a no-load test for the weekend (a very big deal). With no output, I will check for balanced leakage current on each primary. Should be within 5-10%. What about the heat?

Decades of engineering experience...learned something NEW!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One thing that can cause noise, excess input current and overheating without obvious effect on the output voltage would be a shorted turn within one of the windings.
This can sometimes be recognized by a sufficiently precise DC resistance measurement but is very clear when you use an AC impedance measuring device such as a reactance bridge.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
One thing that can cause noise, excess input current and overheating without obvious effect on the output voltage would be a shorted turn within one of the windings.
This can sometimes be recognized by a sufficiently precise DC resistance measurement but is very clear when you use an AC impedance measuring device such as a reactance bridge.

The instrument we normally use in this case is a TTR turns ratio tester:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ttr...ome..69i57.17654j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We have also used a DLRO digital low resistance ohmmeter by Megger(Biddle):

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.....gws-wiz.....6..0i71j35i39j0i131.OhKBlCJ-tqA

Status
Not open for further replies.