# oF Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Um no. Using a 10 port would connect all of the hots, neutrals and EGC's together. You need 5-2 port connectors.

it250_fro_00_201403_600x600.jpg

mstrlucky74

Um no. Using a 10 port would connect all of the hots, neutrals and EGC's together. You need 5-2 port connectors.

it250_fro_00_201403_600x600.jpg

LOL..AHHH. I see what your saying. So in what instance would you need all those ports? Essentially the phases are being connected together.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LOL..AHHH. I see what your saying. So in what instance would you need all those ports? Essentially the phases are being connected together.
It's not obvious, but there is one long bar inside the insulation. If you were extending parallel conductors, or making multiple taps, you might opt for such a device.

gar

Occupation
EE
180923-1597 EDT

mstrlucky74:

I do not see a clear definition of a port. What I believe it means is the number of separate insulated from each other connector blocks. Thus, for splicing two 5 wire cables together you would look at a 5 port assembly. I believe the part you showed could splice three cables together, X number of ports would correspond with the number of wires in one cable.

What I mean by "connector block" is a conductive block that allows multiple conductors to be electrically tied together. Multiple connector blocks isolated from each other (insulated) are required to handle a multiconductor cable.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
180923-1597 EDT

mstrlucky74:

I do not see a clear definition of a port. What I believe it means is the number of separate insulated from each other connector blocks. Thus, for splicing two 5 wire cables together you would look at a 5 port assembly. I believe the part you showed could splice three cables together, X number of ports would correspond with the number of wires in one cable.

What I mean by "connector block" is a conductive block that allows multiple conductors to be electrically tied together. Multiple connector blocks isolated from each other (insulated) are required to handle a multiconductor cable.

The OP was asking about 8 separate wires/conductors, they could be in a cable, he didn't say, but they need to be kept separate. You couldn't use anything more than a two port to extend the wires. See post #2, that is a two port Polaris connector. Each hole is a port with another opening at the top for access to the screw that tightens down on the conductors, then has a rubber plug to close the opening.
These are primarily used for splicing conductors that are too large for a wire nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.