Units of measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broadgage View Post
    I would in general prefer metric/SI units.

To me the major advantage is that these units are the same everywhere. Many older measures have regional, national or application specific variations.

A kilometer is always the same, a mile varies a bit, imperial, nautical, or railway ?
    A liter is likewise the same everywhere, whereas US and UK gallons are significantly different.
    Universal (almost) and consistency are the merits for me.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

Originally posted by Besoeker View Post
      Universal (almost) and consistency are the merits for me.
      For me it would be that the math is straightforward. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division would be so much easier to get right without having to deal with, for example, miles, feet, inches, and fractions of inches.

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post
        For me it would be that the math is straightforward. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division would be so much easier to get right without having to deal with, for example, miles, feet, inches, and fractions of inches.
        That's it in a nutshell. Simpler.
        Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

Originally posted by rambojoe View Post
          might even be 746... and in 2-strokes there is huge debates on what math to use- whether the stroke is measured from the top of the exhaust port or the usual full piston travel. again, I know, kinda useless info for lots but full on debates (and interesting) for less.
          I would say full stroke for displacement but port-to-TDC for compression ratio.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Corso View Post
            Peterd...

I believe your hope to keep American practice in measurement-standards is about to be dashed! Next month reps from 57 countries will meet in France to change SI-units in the most profound way since the French evolution!

Phil
            Like I said, they can pry my fractional tape measure out of my cold, dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by broadgage View Post
              One old measure that survives is the "ligne" pronounced as line, and sometimes written thus these days. It is used to denote the size of an oil lamp burner. "a two ligne burner is fine for a nightlight, but reading requires at least a 16 ligne burner. A ligne is one twelfth of an inch.
              That makes sense: 12 lignes to the inch; 12 inches to the foot: magnitude of ten.
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

Comment

Unless you're a surveyor, in which case there are only ten inches to the foot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	surveyors-rod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2379934

Comment

Like there were originally only ten months?
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

I don't recall, did anyone mention the furlong–firkin–fortnight system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system)? A microfortnight is rather close to one second and a millifurlong is almost 8" (or 20cm).

(see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...of_measurement)

Comment

Working...
                    X