What is the cheaper design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

I have a training room in a school type facility where they are installing 15 new quad receptacles.

There is a panelboard across the hall in a different room to be used as the power source, about 120 feet away or so.

We'll need 8 total new circuits to the training room to feed the new receptacles.

Would it be cheaper to run individual branch circuit wires (MC cable) from the panelboard 120 feet out or to install a sub panel in the new training room and run one feed only?

Thank You

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a training room in a school type facility where they are installing 15 new quad receptacles.

There is a panelboard across the hall in a different room to be used as the power source, about 120 feet away or so.

We'll need 8 total new circuits to the training room to feed the new receptacles.

Would it be cheaper to run individual branch circuit wires (MC cable) from the panelboard 120 feet out or to install a sub panel in the new training room and run one feed only?

Thank You

A subpanel in a training room seems out of place...i would say a home run MC cable or 2 to a junction box near the room and branch out from there. forget the sub panel. just my 2c

is owner okay with an electrical panel in a training room?

kwired

Electron manager
depends on some items you haven't mentioned.

what size feeder? single or three phase? what do you have to run through to get to destination? If considering raceway, will there be a lot of bending and fitting or is it mostly straight run. Can or will you use MWBC's? Least amount of copper is likely used with a raceway and MWBC's, but don't know how practical that is to run either. If you run a feeder, do you size per what you are connecting or do you add some extra capacity? If so how much? If running three phase feeder they like to jack up price on three pole feeder breaker and the three phase panel just because they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.