EV Charging stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a opinion on preparing load calcs for a electric vehicle charging station with multiple (5-10) chargers?

Is there a point on which the 125% rule does not apply. I am responsible to install 10 chargers at a single location and the load calcs at 125% for 10 chargers is huge. Is there a point that there would reduce this based on qty of chargers. I would doubt they would all be used at once. Also the chargers have built in power management features we can control remotely to minimize out put wattage to ensure we do not overload circuits. So far we have been using the 125 % rule but wish there was a way around it a little. Seems to me 100% should be max since this digital style equipment does not ramp up.

I would love to hear your comments

MAC702

...I am responsible to install 10 chargers at a single location ... I would doubt they would all be used at once. ...

The location matters (for practicality if not by Code).

For example, if this was at a mall, you're probably right. If this was at an office of yuppies, every single one of them will be used at 0800 on work days.

Would someone please look at my single line diagram? EV Charger w 10 ft Tap rule

Would someone please look at my single line diagram? EV Charger w 10 ft Tap rule

Sample Tap Dwg.jpg

Would anyone please give me some feedback on my single line diagram for commercial EV charger installation. Is this a legal method of power distribution to my chargers? I really do not want a electrical panel next to the chargers in the parking lot so I thought this might be a better option.

Does anyone see anything wrong? Thanks in advance --- I am a C-10 and do most my own design work and sometimes I need help to confirm I a not forgetting something.

Thanks Dan

Does anyone have a opinion on preparing load calcs for a electric vehicle charging station with multiple (5-10) chargers?

Is there a point on which the 125% rule does not apply. I am responsible to install 10 chargers at a single location and the load calcs at 125% for 10 chargers is huge. Is there a point that there would reduce this based on qty of chargers. I would doubt they would all be used at once. Also the chargers have built in power management features we can control remotely to minimize out put wattage to ensure we do not overload circuits. So far we have been using the 125 % rule but wish there was a way around it a little. Seems to me 100% should be max since this digital style equipment does not ramp up.

Sample Tap Dwg.jpg
View attachment 22174

Would anyone please give me some feedback on my single line diagram for commercial EV charger installation. Is this a legal method of power distribution to my chargers? I really do not want a electrical panel next to the chargers in the parking lot so I thought this might be a better option.

Does anyone see anything wrong? Thanks in advance --- I am a C-10 and do most my own design work and sometimes I need help to confirm I a not forgetting something.

Thanks Dan

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The EGCs all have to be 6 AWG or larger, both the ones run with the main conductors and the ones run with the tap conductors. The splicing device in the "ground box" have to be listed for wet locations per 314.30(C). Everything else looks ok to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.