800 Amp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I am going to figure Alu. conductors, would you run 2 pipes with #800 xhhw or more pipes / smaller wire. I had in my head #750 would work but looking at ampacities I don't think I can skip over the #800 when using the 800 or less exception. The service is 277/480 3 phase 800 amps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it satisfies your load you might even look at paralleling the 250s in (2) conduits, Likely it will be one size smaller conduit than your 800s and, possibly more readily available. and easier to work with..

KWH

I would be safe with the #350. The load will not be close to the 750 amps they are good for.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Two sets of 750 kcmil Al is good for 770 (385*2) amps, next size up 800 amps. For copper 2 sets of 500 kcmil gets you 760 amps. Both scenarios in separate raceways.

KWH

Two sets of 750 kcmil Al is good for 770 (385*2) amps, next size up 800 amps. For copper 2 sets of 500 kcmil gets you 760 amps. Both scenarios in separate raceways.

Thanks I was looking at it wrong, wasn't doing a total like you.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am going to figure Alu. conductors, would you run 2 pipes with #800 xhhw or more pipes / smaller wire. I had in my head #750 would work but looking at ampacities I don't think I can skip over the #800 when using the 800 or less exception. The service is 277/480 3 phase 800 amps.
Are you referring to 800 kcm? I didn't even know they made it that size. I can't imagine it being especially convenient or economical to use it. I would be inclined to parallel smaller conductors.

I had to go look. it seems you can get XHHW in 1000 kcm as well. That is some big wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.