X/R Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCleveland

Can anyone provide some feedback on this topic please.

Attached is a generic power layout with how I believe the cct simplifies from left-to-right.

First, is the simplification technique correct for what is shown ?

Second, I am assuming the SKMs and Easy Power programs have the X & R values for motors and transformers built into the program....from what DOCUMENT(s) (IEEE or ANSI) can I obtain these values ?

Attachments

• CCT Simplification.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 11

ron

I've never seen that simplification technique.

SKM and Easypower etc, all have typical values for X and R for motors and transformers, or x"d for gens etc in the library, but they can be overridden if the specific equipment data is known.

jlee405

The diagram looks kind of like the MVA method, where you can treat the series impedances like an equivalent parallel resistor and the parallel impedances like a series equivalent resistance.

Not sure which ANSI tables they are, maybe c57 or c37. But I use the GE whitepaper on short circuit calculations that has all the x/r ratios in it.

ron

Yes, several books have typical values.
I beleive IEEE [h=1]551-2006 - Recommended Practice for Calculating AC Short-Circuit Currents in Industrial and Commercial Power Systems has some for example[/h]

jlee405

Ron
"in the library" is what I am looking for.

jlee405
How are you accounting for the exact X/R of the power system at every point ?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Each electrical component (conductor, transformer, motor) has it's own X/R value that contributes to the whole system or whatever point you are faulting at. You also will need to enter in the X/R value from the utility source that is provided by the POCO (I typically use 8-12 if not given). I think of it like a thevinin/norton equivalent circuit.

MyCleveland

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Each electrical component (conductor, transformer, motor) has it's own X/R value that contributes to the whole system or whatever point you are faulting at. You also will need to enter in the X/R value from the utility source that is provided by the POCO (I typically use 8-12 if not given). I think of it like a thevinin/norton equivalent circuit.

How are manipulating X/R of components without knowing the actual X & R of each component ?
Understand about utility component, I just posted a sketch as a talking point.
Does the GE white paper have tables of actual X and R data for transformers and motors ?

Could you post a PDF of a simple one-line with method of attack ?
Utility (assumed value) serving bus 1
bus 1 with two branches (277/480Y)
Branch one feeds 10HP
Branch two feeds 30kVA trans (120/208Y)
Trans serves one 20HP motor

jlee405

Take a look at this website: http://arcadvisor.com/faq/motor-transformer-xr-data
Gives you some typical x/r values for different devices. I can't find that GE whitepaper, left it on a thumb drive somewhere.

Actual X/R is unknown until the device is built, that's why we use the ANSI tables for assumptions. Actual X/R values can be found on the nameplates of devices, and is why software like easypower let's you enter it in manually otherwise they use the ANSI values by default I believe.

X/R is another interpretation of power factor. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I typically look at x/r values when dealing with asymmetrical fault currents and equipment duties.

Last edited:

MyCleveland

I am trying to calculate the X/R at each point for the same reason...Assy. Component....
If we go back to my original sketch and add in a utility source...am I approaching the problem via my simplification indicated so I can come up with the X/R at each point.

jlee405

If you're trying to do this by hand, there is a good example in the IEEE red book that does a similar type of calculation you are trying to do and they show the x/r tables in there. However, I haven't really read that portion in depth. If you are trying to calculate device duties, keep in mind there are x/r multiplying factors involved. When a device's tested x/r is smaller than the calculated x/r, the multiplying factors are used to give you sort of like an equivalent asymmetrical in symmetrical current for the device to see if it's underrated or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.