Kitchen Receptacle Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
If I want to add a receptacle next to a range, sink or refrigerator does the distance from the edge of the appliance needs to be 1ft or 2ft away.

Since I'm getting conflicting results. Please see attach picture. Thanks

Attachments

• Kitchen Receptacles.jpg
    Kitchen Receptacles.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC does not have a minimum distance. The maximum would be 2 feet from the appliance to the first receptacle, and 4 feet to each of the next ones. I would not want a receptacle closer than 2 feet from a stove or sink, but that is a design choice, not a code requirement.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
The NEC does not have a minimum distance. The maximum would be 2 feet from the appliance to the first receptacle, and 4 feet to each of the next ones. I would not want a receptacle closer than 2 feet from a stove or sink, but that is a design choice, not a code requirement.

Thanks for the help

I have a counter top next to both sides of range, which is 18" wide. But, it looks like I added way to many receptacles on the floor plan.

See attach Kitchen Layout for your reference.

Range shows one receptacle for the oven, the other one for the hood/microwave.

Kitchen Layout.JPG

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the help

I have a counter top next to both sides of range, which is 18" wide. But, it looks like I added way to many receptacles on the floor plan.

See attach Kitchen Layout for your reference.

Range shows one receptacle for the oven, the other one for the hood/microwave.

View attachment 22578

You said too many but which are the "extra" receptacles in your plan?

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
I guess it's the correct Amount. For your reference the sink counter top is 6'-6". The distance from behind the sink is 1 feet. So I only showed 1 General Kitchen Receptacle.

I was thinking of adding another Counter top Receptacle on the left side of the sink.

kwired

Electron manager
If you had three feet of counter between the range and the sink, you would be required to have at least one receptacle serving that counter. If you only have one it will be within 2 feet of one end or the other to comply.;)

kwired

Electron manager
If I want to add a receptacle next to a range, sink or refrigerator does the distance from the edge of the appliance needs to be 1ft or 2ft away.

Since I'm getting conflicting results. Please see attach picture. Thanks
Looks like you placed them about as minimal as code will allow to me.

BTW 2017 NEC does not require the receptacle at the end of the peninsula if there is a receptacle at the "connected perpendicular wall"

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
Looks like you placed them about as minimal as code will allow to me.

BTW 2017 NEC does not require the receptacle at the end of the peninsula if there is a receptacle at the "connected perpendicular wall"

Thanks for the update for the New NEC Code 2017.

My next question, since you are required to a minimum of 2 Kitchen Receptacle, how many circuits can you connect to them or do they have to be dedicated circuits.

480sparky

....My next question, since you are required to a minimum of 2 Kitchen Receptacle, how many circuits can you connect to them or do they have to be dedicated circuits.

Huh?

Are you asking about how many SABCs you can have? There's no maximum number of circuits specified. You can have 100 if you'd like.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that he meant receptacles not circuits. You need a minimum of two circuits put as many receptacles as you want on each.

kwired

Electron manager
210.11(C) requires minimum of two SABC's.

210.52(B)(3) requires at least two circuits serving kitchen counter top receptacles - can be the same two required by 210.11(C).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My only critique is that I would place a receptacle to each side of each of the two corners, rather than the single one you show in each corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.