Dimming Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    You either run two conduits or if the specs permit you run the Class 2 as exposed cable. The other choice is different equipment. There is equipment that is marked Class 1 or Class 2 and you choose which wiring method you want to use.
    Thanks Don. Reclassifying option doesn't seem too difficult. I think that's the easiest and least expensive option.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes the insulation has to have the same minimum rating.

Comment

The other choice is different equipment. There is equipment that is marked Class 1 or Class 2 and you choose which wiring method you want to use.
        So 725.130(A) Exception 2 says that any Class 2 or Class 3 power source may be reidentified as Class 1 and the circuit run using Class 1 methods, but the equipment supplied would need to be explicitly rated for use on Class 1 circuits? The option for field reidentification only applies to the power source, not the equipment supplied?

Thanks,
        Wayne

Comment

don may correct me but I am of the opinion that you can run the Class 2 circuits in a cable (no conduit) to the fixture j box, maintain the required separation of power and Class 2 in that box (725.136) and install the cable discussed to the fixture again keeping the requires separation in the fixture.
          At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Was told by engineer friend of my that inspector told him as long as the class 2 wire has 30mil insulation( he said don't quote him on that) you can run it with 120v in same conduit. I asked him which code section and still haven't heard back.

Comment

How Do You Re-classify?

If they are not reclassified they cannot be mixed no matter what the voltage rating of the insulation is. The MC with the power and control conductors in the same cable is designed so that the control conductors comply with one of the provisions of 725.136(I) and is listed for the application.
              How do You re-classify?

Comment

Originally posted by captaincutback View Post
                How do You re-classify?
                You take a sharpie and black out the "Class 2" marking.
                725.130(A)...
                Exception No. 2: Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be permitted to be reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits if the Class 2 and Class 3 markings required in 725.124 are eliminated and the entire circuit is installed using the wiring methods and materials in accordance with Part II, Class 1 circuits.
                Informational Note: Class 2 and Class 3 circuits reclassified and installed as Class 1 circuits are no longer Class 2 or Class 3 circuits, regardless of the continued connection to a Class 2 or Class 3 power source.
                Don, Illinois
                (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

We use 18 AWG Stranded TFFN, pulled in with power conductors in conduit:
                  https://www.encorewire.com/wp-conten...eWire-TFFN.pdf
                  Its rated 600V, and listed under 725.49(B)

I would prefer a label 'Class 1 system' rather than the sharpie blackout.

I would encourage you to pick obvious colors that are not used in your building.
                  There was a tenancy to use grey and purple which I have seen mistakenly connected to neutrals.
                  I spec yellow and purple.
                  Cheers
                  Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
                    don may correct me but I am of the opinion that you can run the Class 2 circuits in a cable (no conduit) to the fixture j box, maintain the required separation of power and Class 2 in that box (725.136) and install the cable discussed to the fixture again keeping the requires separation in the fixture.
                    Don due you agree with Angie’s statement?

also where in 725 are the separation requirements? (don’t have my codebook on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Mustwin351 View Post
                      Don due you agree with Angie’s statement?

also where in 725 are the separation requirements? (don’t have my codebook on me)
                      Augie's statement and his code reference are correct.
                      Don, Illinois
                      (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
                        We use 18 AWG Stranded TFFN, pulled in with power conductors in conduit:
                        https://www.encorewire.com/wp-conten...eWire-TFFN.pdf
                        Its rated 600V, and listed under 725.49(B)

I would prefer a label 'Class 1 system' rather than the sharpie blackout.

I would encourage you to pick obvious colors that are not used in your building.
                        There was a tenancy to use grey and purple which I have seen mistakenly connected to neutrals.
                        I spec yellow and purple.
                        Cheers
                        Yellow is commonly used as one of the 277/480 colors, just like the grey often is for the 277 neutral.
                        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                          Yellow is commonly used as one of the 277/480 colors, just like the grey often is for the 277 neutral.
                          Sometimes I feel like I am running out of colors.
                          Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Working...
                          X