No announcement yet.

Even still more generator questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO...the T1 wire should run with the feeder because the neutral for the battery charger is with the feeder...300.3(B)

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
      IMO...the T1 wire should run with the feeder because the neutral for the battery charger is with the feeder...300.3(B)
      That may no longer be the case, as there are six control wires: black, red, white, blue, and two yellows.

In any case, it's in and wired, and I'm not changing it.

Added: Okay, I see that the blue supplies the charger, but the white is a control wire, so the feeder neutral must do double-duty.
      Last edited by LarryFine; 05-09-19, 09:19 PM.
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

Comment

Generac has the "all in one" cable that is code compliant and preferred by most installers. It is approved for direct burial and has correct color coding for the system interconnection between transfer and generator.

Comment

The white wire in the control cable is for the 23 wire which is grounded (-12V) in the event that the unit tells the transfer switch to move to the standby (generator) position and has nothing to do with grounding the 120V T1 to the charger. The charger gets its neutral from the main neutral in the feeder to the transfer switch.

I run a large Generator specific help forum (not just Generac) and don't get on here too often anymore. If you want more help, feel free to post there. https://gentekpower.com/forums

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
            Generac has the "all in one" cable that is code compliant and preferred by most installers. It is approved for direct burial and has correct color coding for the system interconnection between transfer and generator.
            The cable you're referring to is ONLY code compliant in areas that have adopted the 2017 NEC. If they haven't, it's required to be installed in a conduit the entire length. The cable has a TC-ER-JP rating, however TC isn't allowed through homes except with a new exception in the 2017 NEC for generators and other appliances needing power and controls in 1 cable (like mini split systems).

See article 336

Comment

If this is a "whole house" system and the ATS is ahead of the "main" panel, your service disconnect is likely going to be a switch ahead of all of that. This means that you will keep the ground and neutral conductors separate after that disconnect (your main is hence treated as a "sub" with regard to ground/neutrals). I've seen experienced guys miss that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rnatalie View Post
                If this is a "whole house" system and the ATS is ahead of the "main" panel, your service disconnect is likely going to be a switch ahead of all of that. This means that you will keep the ground and neutral conductors separate after that disconnect (your main is hence treated as a "sub" with regard to ground/neutrals). I've seen experienced guys miss that one.
                I installed this ATS in place of an exterior main disco, so the neutral/EGC separation was already done, and the GECs already landed in the exterior main.

Yes, I've installed many ATSs and never missed the need for the 4-wire feeder.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                X