Switchgear Installation Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venkatec2018

Hello all,

I'm planning to install a 13.2 kV/ 480 Volt 2500 KVA transformer, 3000 Amp switchgear (480 V) and 6 VFD drive cabinets.

1. 13.2 kV/ 480 Volt, 2500 KVA transformer will be located outside the manufacturing plant. This transformer will feed a 3000 Amp switchgear rated for 480 V.

2. This switchgear has 6 breakers that will feed 6 drive cabinets. All 6 drive cabinets will be installed inside a MCC room.

3. My question is regarding switchgear installation location. Is it acceptable to install this 3000 Amp switchgear inside MCC room or does it have to be installed in a separate switchgear room ? Please note that MCC room already has a Distribution Panel (DP) fed by another transformer/ switchgear. In addition, MCC room will have many drive cabinets. MCC room has additional free space available.

4. Can you please confirm which NEC section is applicable for installation location of switchegar ? I want to know what NEC says for installing switchegar inside MCC room along with other distribution panel (powered by a different transformer source) and drive cabinets or the switchgear must be installed in a separate switchegar room ?

Thanks !

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As long as you maintain the required working clearance and access rules the NEC will allow the gear in the room (or almost anywhere)

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
NEC 2017 ARTICLE 408 Switchboards, Switchgear, and Panelboards
Part II. Switchboards and Switchgear [from Art.408.16]
and Art.110 Part II. 1000 Volts, Nominal, or Less [from 110.26].
Also Art.312.2 Damp and Wet Locations
[and also as augie47 said]:happyyes:

Sahib

If the breakers in the switchgear contain any insulating mineral oil, it is better to house the switchgear in a separate room then.

Status
Not open for further replies.