kitchen countertop recep spacing with large garden window

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

"countertops or work surface" is preceded by "island or peninsular". It does not apply to all work surfaces in this exception.

"On island and peninsular countertops or work surface"

Choose one. That's what the word 'or' means.

So let's break it down.

On island and peninsular countertops or work surface where the surface is ƒflat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop or work surface, such as an overhead cabinet

I choose the latter, 'work surface where the surface is flat across....' So let's eliminate that which I didn't choose.

On .....work surface where the surface is ƒflat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop or work surface, such as an overhead cabinet......

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Choose one. That's what the word 'or' means.

I read it as:

"On island and peninsular countertops or work surface..."
"On island and peninsular (countertops or work surface)"

the "or" refers to how you define the 'peninsular' flat surface; it's not adding a 3rd option.

retirede

I read it as:

the "or" refers to how you define the 'peninsular' flat surface; it's not adding a 3rd option.

It’s ambiguous.

Your interpretation is valid. It could also be interpreted as (island and peninsular countertops) or work surfaces.

Another code section that could use some clarification.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
It’s ambiguous.

Your interpretation is valid. It could also be interpreted as (island and peninsular countertops) or work surfaces.

Another code section that could use some clarification.

It wasn't ambiguous in the 2014 NEC. They added the words "or work surface" in the 2017. Before that it just said "countertops". That is why I believe it only applies to islands and peninsulas. I don't believe it is meant to apply to any work surface.

480sparky

I read it as:

Definition of 'or' : "Used to link alternatives."

I don't see anything in that definition about how I define one choice or the other.

Besides, if the exception applied ONLY to islands and peninsulas, it would be in 210.52(C)(2) and 210.52(C)(3), which are specific to them.... not (5), which covers all SABC receps.

retirede

It wasn't ambiguous in the 2014 NEC. They added the words "or work surface" in the 2017. Before that it just said "countertops". That is why I believe it only applies to islands and peninsulas. I don't believe it is meant to apply to any work surface.

I wonder what the reason was for the added words?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Definition of 'or' : "Used to link alternatives."

I don't see anything in that definition about how I define one choice or the other.

Besides, if the exception applied ONLY to islands and peninsulas, it would be in 210.52(C)(2) and 210.52(C)(3), which are specific to them.... not (5), which covers all SABC receps.

Before the 2017 code the exception clearly only applied to island and peninsula countertops, and yet the exception was still located in 210.52(C)(5).

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Status
Not open for further replies.