kitchen countertop recep spacing with large garden window

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My suggestion is to speak with the local AHJ about (1) Whether the 24" rule applies to this installation, and if so, (2) Can you get an exemption? If you put a receptacle on the left and right vertical areas of the window opening, the center of the window space would be 30" from a receptacle on either side. I don't see a safety issue with that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would just add a receptacle on both sides of the garden window facing each other and hope the inspector doesn't want more than that. Otherwise, you may have to install a pop up receptacle.

The ones we have done had the sink in the middle so one on each side work great.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I call this the common sense rule. This has always been in Ohio's residential code.

This is why I like the word "shall"!
abe15f221c53019cc5bf8d188de448ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
OK. Here is one possible approach. What do you all think?

210.52(A)(2) clarifies what is meant by "wall space." But it starts by saying, "As used in this section. . . ." Since (A)(2) is part of (A), I infer that that clarification only applies within (A). Specifically, it does not apply to 210.52(C). In other words, we don't have a clarification of what is meant by "wall space," in the context of "countertop wall space." Therefore, we cannot begin by saying a floor-to-ceiling window in the family room counts as wall space, and conclude therefrom that a countertop-to-ceiling window in the kitchen also counts as wall space.

I am inclined to go with Tim's post #2. It's not "countertop wall space" because there is no wall, and because we don't have a rule that says a window behind a kitchen countertop counts as wall space.

In the NEC style manual a "section" is described by "xxx.xx". I would contend that the "section" is 210.52 and that the wall space descriptions in 210.52(A)(2) apply to all of 210.52. Just my opinion.

I agree I think "section" that it applies to is all of 210.52

[FONT=&quot]Exception: Receptacle outlets shall not be required on a wall directly behind a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink in the installation described in [/FONT]Figure 210.52(C)(1) Figure210.52(C)(1)

If there is range or sink in front of window and there is more than 12 inches of counter behind it (which looks like would be likely in OP's pictures) a receptacle would be needed if window is 5 feet wide. One on each "side wall" would work if window were only 4 feet or less.

TimWA

Ok getting back if anyone's still following this, response to my email query on this with pics to lead electrical inspector:

"The requirement is for “counter” space that is against a wall space. A garden window (or any window) does not make that space exempt.

The answer is yes outlets are required within 24” of a sink or other obstruction, and you cannot have more than 48” between outlets (any space has to be within 24” of an outlet). You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

Thank you,

Lead Electrical Inspector
Tumwater and Aberdeen Offices
Department of Labor and Industries Electrical"

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Ok getting back if anyone's still following this, response to my email query on this with pics to lead electrical inspector:

"The requirement is for “counter” space that is against a wall space. A garden window (or any window) does not make that space exempt.

The answer is yes outlets are required within 24” of a sink or other obstruction, and you cannot have more than 48” between outlets (any space has to be within 24” of an outlet). You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

Thank you,

I'll petition for an exception/exemption! Keep the nice, clean lines of a garden window, with an outlet on either side. During a party, re-arrange the warming trays, and put a cold dish between them.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I'll petition for an exception/exemption! Keep the nice, clean lines of a garden window, with an outlet on either side. During a party, re-arrange the warming trays, and put a cold dish between them.

+1

The totality of circumstances. You are only talking about a 6" gap or 3" from each side. I've yet to meet a lady who would plop a crockpot in the middle of a window and leave it there...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, look at the "bright" :)roll:) side: with a front-mounted receptacle, the receptacles flanking the window won't have to crowd the window trim; they can be a couple of feet away.

There is a 4 inch spacer below the header atop the window. Pull that spacer out and raise the window 4 inches. That will give you a 4 inches sill to put your outlet turned sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
There is a 4 inch spacer below the header atop the window. Pull that spacer out and raise the window 4 inches. That will give you a 4 inches sill to put your outlet turned sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Window may not be able to go any higher on the outside of he wall.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

" You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

Thank you,

I don't see how mounting them in the front of the cabinet would be compliant with 210.52(C)(5).

(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be
located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
the countertop or work surface.

480sparky

I don't see how mounting them in the front of the cabinet would be compliant with 210.52(C)(5).

(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be
located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
the countertop or work surface.

Read the exception.

480sparky

The exception only applies to construction for the physically impaired and island and peninsula countertops.

Keep reading.

(1) Construction for the physically impaired
(2) On island and peninsular countertops or work surface where the surface is ƒat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop or work surface, such as an overhead cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.