Motor housing HOT, with no load on pump???

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiller233

Need advice on motor temperatures/problems. Commissioning a machine and I noticed the motor is getting hot! It is on a water pump for recirculating water thru a heat exchanger. So no real load to speak of on it.

Been running the motor for about 45 minutes – 1 hour and the motor is getting pretty hot, hotter than the pump in fact. I checked all the obvious things like wiring, amp draw etc. and everything is fine. It’s pulling about 5 – 5.5 amps with an FLA of 6.5 amps and SFA of 7.46. The fluid temp is only about 90 degrees and there’s been no load to speak of on the motor.

You can see from the pictures below that the rear of the motor is significantly hotter than the front of the motor, which seems to point to a bad bearing. There are no greese fittings either.

Any ideas???

D322010E-A968-478E-8B7A-7ED0AAD9B358.jpg

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Need advice on motor temperatures/problems. Commissioning a machine and I noticed the motor is getting hot! It is on a water pump for recirculating water thru a heat exchanger. So no real load to speak of on it.

Been running the motor for about 45 minutes – 1 hour and the motor is getting pretty hot, hotter than the pump in fact. I checked all the obvious things like wiring, amp draw etc. and everything is fine. It’s pulling about 5 – 5.5 amps with an FLA of 6.5 amps and SFA of 7.46. The fluid temp is only about 90 degrees and there’s been no load to speak of on the motor.

You can see from the pictures below that the rear of the motor is significantly hotter than the front of the motor, which seems to point to a bad bearing. There are no greese fittings either.

Any ideas???

View attachment 23067
How hot?

kwired

Electron manager

Any ideas???

View attachment 23067
If I am reading that right 117F is the highest temp in the image. That is not really all that hot for this kind of situatioun. Low enough temp you can touch it without getting burned, though it may eventually burn you if you leave your hand there for too long.

Might be that back bearing is going out and is making that end hotter. Might be the pumped media is cooler so it is taking some heat with it and making that end a little cooler.

Is it running across line or on a VFD? internal cooling fans run slower when motor runs slower and pull less cooling air over the motor.

emiller233

We've used these many times, just dont remember one being quite this hot before... yes 117 was the top. It did get a few degrees warmer. I think it topped out at 126.

It's just recirculating water for a heat exchanger. I think the water was about 80 degrees. It's cool in here today.

It's just across the line, I think it was a 1800RPM (I left already).

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty

Any ideas???

View attachment 23067

117F is not hot, it is 'slightly warm'

95F surrounding, 22F rise only.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But associated with that specific region of the motor, it is still a troubling observation!
The other end of the motor is connected to the pump, which is pulling heat out along the rotor shaft and into the impeller, then into the water as it flows through. Very common issue with IR scans of water pumps.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The other end of the motor is connected to the pump, which is pulling heat out along the rotor shaft and into the impeller, then into the water as it flows through. Very common issue with IR scans of water pumps.
True, but in this case is the thermograph a valid indication of high bearing temperature rather than winding temperature? Or are we just seeing openings in the motor housing?

emiller233

I checked with the MFGR, they said 105C is max acceptable limit.
But, we've used this setup quite a few times before and it never was this warm before, that we can remember anyways. That's why we checked it to see what temp of it actually was.
Today it went up to 144F. Still cool out in the shop, around 80 again today.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But, we've used this setup quite a few times before and it never was this warm before, that we can remember anyways. That's why we checked it to see what temp of it actually was.
Today it went up to 144F. Still cool out in the shop, around 80 again today.
What does the manufacturer say about the hot spot?

kwired

Electron manager
But, we've used this setup quite a few times before and it never was this warm before, that we can remember anyways. That's why we checked it to see what temp of it actually was. 100C is same as 212F - the temp water boils at at standard atmosphere pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.