Transformer Secondary Protection - 100% Rated Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

I'm looking at a potential project that is calling for (4) 2500kVA 13.8-480V Transformers feeding (4) 4000A 480V Switchgear Lineups. The current conceptual design has 2500kVA transformers feeding the 4000A lineups with 4000A main breakers. This will likely require (11) sets of 500MCM cables in underground conduit for some distance which can be quite costly and difficult to install.

The transformer secondary current rating is 3007A so using 125% of that per table 450.3(A) gives secondary main breaker size of 3758A which rounds up to 4000A. I suppose you could also round down to 3500A which would also in turn reduce cables to (10) sets of 500MCM. I guess the choice of 3500A vs 4000A is depended on actual load requirements. (Load requirements dictate both primary and secondary cable ratings and can be less than transformer FLA values if load permits)

I've always understood the 125% multiplier of transformer secondary to size main breaker to be due to the fact that breakers are 80% rated and thus need to increase breaker to account for this and allow full capacity of transformer (common practice). Its my understanding that this does not in any way compromise the overload rating of the transformer?

So my question is......Is there a possible cost savings in this case for using a 3000A 100% rated main breaker as opposed to 80% rated breaker. Obviously breaker and switchgear can be reduced to 3000A which would present a cost savings but I'm not sure how the increased cost of 100% rated breaker may offset these two reductions? This would also require only (8) sets of 500MCM cable as opposed to the oriognal 11 which would also present a cost savings. In my opinion if the cost savings from reduced breaker, switchgear, and cable significantly outweighed the added cost for 100% rated breaker than this seems like a good option to me.

Does anyone agree with me or am I missing something?

mull982

I looked into this further and it appears that most power circuit breakers are 100 percent rated an listed for that rating when used in a stand alone structure in LV switchgear.

Since this application would use power circuit breaker for secondary breaker can I therefore take advantage of the 100 percent rating and thus reduce switchgear to 3000A based on not having to account for 125% of transformer secondary rating?

Is it typical to set secondary protection at 100% of xfmr rating instead of 125% when using power circuit breakers for secondary?

topgone

I looked into this further and it appears that most power circuit breakers are 100 percent rated an listed for that rating when used in a stand alone structure in LV switchgear.

Since this application would use power circuit breaker for secondary breaker can I therefore take advantage of the 100 percent rating and thus reduce switchgear to 3000A based on not having to account for 125% of transformer secondary rating?

Is it typical to set secondary protection at 100% of xfmr rating instead of 125% when using power circuit breakers for secondary?

Sorry, I have no experience doing that size of transformer ever since way back, when my horns were green! How about doing the cost comparisons between having 4 x 2500 kVA versus 5 x 2000 kVA? You could be assured of successful operations using a 3000A switchgear there.

ron

As you mentioned, everything has to do with the load on the secondary. Also the rating of the 2500kVA transformer. If it is straight 2500kVA, then the FLA is 3010A and that is all it can safely put out for an extended period of time, so 3000A 1000% rated 480V CB is a valid option.

Often the 2500kVA transformer will have another rating such as a 55/65 deg rise, where the transformer may have a higher kVA rating at 65 deg rise and allow more current to flow if the load needs it. So determine if the load is >3000A and if it is, the transformer may have a 2nd rating based on temperature or fan cooling.

The only time you would need the full 125% on the secondary is if you had a continuous load of transformer nameplate and a non 100% breaker. Other than that, you can go as low as you want (or more precisely 100% of non continuous load plus 125% of continuous load. Are these loads continuous? That is when the 100% rated breaker comes into play. But I dont see any holes in your plan. My understanding is 100% breakers are the same breaker, just in standalone approved enclosures, so it might be a free lunch in the case of a switchboard with a main section. Note the 100% breaker saves you on conductors only. In the case of a switchboard, there is no requirement that the switchboard be protected at its rating, so you could have 4000 amp breaker and a 3000 buss.

Note you need primary conductors with ampacity of transformer nameplate rated current.

mull982

In the case of a switchboard, there is no requirement that the switchboard be protected at its rating, so you could have 4000 amp breaker and a 3000 buss.

I always thought that the equipment bus needed to be protected at its rating by the main breaker? Is this not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.