ocpd for transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

I have an existing building with a double ended switchboard with each end fed from a different transformer. The owner would like to have a portable generator back up one end of the MSB. In order to do this the transfer switch's normal feed will be from the secondary of the transformer feeding that end. My design calls for a new 4000A transfer switch w/ a 4000A circuit breaker on the normal side of the transfer switch in order to protect the transfer switch and thus the neutral/ground bond existing in the MSB will need to be disconnected and bonded at the transfer switch since this is now the first OCPD/disconnect for the service into this building. The new GEC at the transfer switch will be extended into the building to the grounding bar in the MSB. The owner's engineer reviewing the plans does not want to move the bond and feels the 4000A circuit breaker is not required at the transfer switch. Any thoughts????

ron

Re: ocpd for transfer switch

How long is the conductors from the xfmr secondary to the existing main circuit breaker for that service? Is the xfmr utility owned? Where is the meter/ct's relative to the xfmr (primary or secondary). Are you sure that the existing n-g bond occurs at the breaker for each xfmr secondary?

bwyllie

The secondary conductors travel approx 100'into the building. The meter and CT's are in the MSB and yes the neutral-ground bond occurs at the MSB. I believe the transformer is owned by the client.

ron

OK agree with you. Add new 4000A breaker on the upstream side of the normal termination of the xfer switch. The new breaker will have to be service entry rated. n-g bond would occur at the new breaker or at the new location of the meter. I guess you will also move the utility metering to the line side of new breaker too.
I have heard of service entry rated xfer switches that include a disconnect if your interested.

bwyllie

for some reason this enginner and contractor do not feel there is a need for the 4000A OCPD in the transfer switch, probably money issue.

Nick

Would it be possible to modify the bus in the MSB? Intercept it after the MCB, run it to the ATS and then back to feed the MSB? This would save the cost of a new breaker. You wouldn?t have to mess with the GFP system or utility metering either. Buss duct would be an ideal wiring method in this case.

bwyllie

That was our first design but the cost of the bus was too high for the owner.

bwyllie

upon further review the metering is done at the primary switchgear so we won't have to touch the metering or CTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.