Generator Grounding Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Am reviewing someone else’s generator grounding detail. They show a neutral to ground connection at the emergency switchboard instead of where I would show it; at the generator. They run a neutral and a ground wire back from the emergency switchboard to the generator. And I guess so long as they don’t bond the two together again at the generator, it’s ok. Do you agree?

kwired

Electron manager
Am reviewing someone else’s generator grounding detail. They show a neutral to ground connection at the emergency switchboard instead of where I would show it; at the generator. They run a neutral and a ground wire back from the emergency switchboard to the generator. And I guess so long as they don’t bond the two together again at the generator, it’s ok. Do you agree?
Separate N and G are necessary either way. Where to bond depends if it is set up as separately derived system or not.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The idea is that the neutral is never bonded to the EGC/GE system more than once (in the active system). Simple explanation:

If the neutral is switched, then each source's neutral is bonded before the transfer switch, and the load neutral is isolated ~ SDS.

If the neutral is un-switched, then each source's neutral is isolated before the transfer switch, and the load neutral is bonded ~ non-SDS.

kwired

Electron manager
Not necessarily. If the loads are 3 wire only, then no need to bring the neutral out of the generator if you do the N-G bond in the generator.
Yes, only a current carrying conductor applies to such rules. EGC's and GEC's always need to be run and with no switching components. Metal raceways and enclosures can be the EGC path.

Status
Not open for further replies.