Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
    I wouldn’t trust them to trip at all...

No mention if they are thermal mag or mag only. But no UL listing and only 3kA interrupt capacity? There is no place to use those unless you have another current limiting device ahead of them, so what’s the point?

The Chinese will sell you anything you want to pay for. It’s up to you to know what they are and whether they are good. In this case, you have absolutely no way to know. No thank you.
    Mag only.

These wind up in installations over seas. But you are correct, these might not trip even at 3000amps

I ask because I've taken apart a 1 inch Crouse Hinds resi breakers that only had a magnetic trip coil along with a data sheet confirming that. Had I known then what I know now I would have kept it. But somehow no one wants to take me seriously.
    Our comedian shamelessly joked about a blackout. Talk about dark humor.

Comment

So how would '3rd party testing' apply here? ~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
        Your client is the 3rd party. If their building burns down, the device failed the test.

SceneryDriver

Comment

the code does not require breakers to have a time delay at all. it does require circuits to have both short circuit and overload protection. how that is done is a technology issue.
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
            Mag only "breakers" are not circuit breakers in Code they are motor circuit protectors, MCPs. The most popular brand (Eaton) calls them thst, aka HMCP series, but technically they are not circuit breakers. The adjustment on them is in Amps and sets the magnetic trip. The rating such as 100 A isn't even printed on the handle like an actual circuit breaker.

Third party testing is per the UL standard but just as with say SIS or AWM wire, it's basically a pass through where the equipment builder ultimately submits the assembly such as a combination starter for third party approval. There is a lot of equipment out there that is UL or some other third party Listed but not suitable for general use so can only be used as part of a Listed assembly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Comment

Could be an electronic trip sensing system and that mag coil is just the short circuit override? I don’t know, I’ve never seen one of those before and their data is lacking, but that’s my guess. All they would need is a small CT or even a small Hall effect IC modified to read AC.
              __________________________________________________ ____________________________
              Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X