NYC power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
    Was lecture recorded? Is there any paper out on the event? I would give anything know.
    As you might imagine, no recording and they frowned when I took a picture from my cellphone from the audience.
    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ron View Post
      As you might imagine, no recording and they frowned when I took a picture from my cellphone from the audience.
      Perhaps not the event, but if they are telling you guys is there anything the public can read on? Anything in PAC world? IEEE?
      Our comedian shamelessly joked about a blackout. Talk about dark humor.

Comment

Probably these guys again

Click image for larger version

Name:	GB2film1999chapter06sc010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2381036

Comment

Originally posted by zog View Post
          Probably these guys again

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23376[/ATTACH]
          Or the pink slime.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
            Here is the public supporting data:

I believe the Sprain Brook substation is fed from Indian Point, the nuke plant they are closing.

I also cringe at the fact that all those facilities are indoors. One transformer explosion would take out the whole facility.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
              I believe the Sprain Brook substation is fed from Indian Point, the nuke plant they are closing.

Millwood (feeding through East view) and Pleasant valley actually. Only one 345kv line connects to Buchanan directly. Buchanan then connects to Indian point.

See pics

I also cringe at the fact that all those facilities are indoors. One transformer explosion would take out the whole facility.

-Hal

Outdoors and AIS- which is worse.

There have been transformer fires at these places without loosing the entire substation. The indoor versions will probably fair just as well as the transformers are in their own rooms (pens), open ceiling grates and fire suppression.

The real nightmare by far is flooding and storm debris to a lesser but still major degree.

Farragut, East 13th st, Rainy, Hell Gate, Gowanus, Fresh Kills, Vernon and a few smaller stations are all capable of flooding during a hurricane. Even West 49th st could worse case. We are talking about 50% to 2/3 the system needing to be shut down if a Cat 3 hits on flood water lone.

I've been saying it for years but all of the above stations need to be rebuilt as GIS on an elevated building both due to extreme age the damage flooding would cause.
              Attached Files

Comment

is this as bad as the '77 outage....?

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post

~RJ~

Nooo.

77 was the loss of the entire Con Ed system. July 2019 was just West 49th st and all the substations it feeds.

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post

-Hal
                    FWIW several years ago I mussed and drew up some plans on my own for gradually converting the entire system over to GIS and ditching the fluid filled cables. Some 500kv loops starting at Pleasant Valley and Ramapo- 161kv to area subs using the existing pipes.

My First iteration as you can tell- ie line and loads need to be alternated- I've got buss sections at 8,000amps in this one LOL.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mbrooke; 07-18-19, 09:05 PM.

Comment

First iteration of West 49th and 65th. Needs a transfer bus among other things.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A "lightly" loaded area Substation for Fox Hills / Willow Brook / Woodrow
                        Attached Files

Comment

Upper Manhattan networks
                          Attached Files

Comment

Serious Question here. It says the Times Square network (which did not go down to my knowledge) is fed from West 50th st? Does this mean West 50th st never went down, or does it mean Times Square network was recently transferred to another substation? I'm confused
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post

~RJ~

RJ, you will like this one- 1977 master report:

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/6673953

Comment

Just click on "View Technical Report (14.29 MB)"

Comment

Working...
                                X