Faulty Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Decades ago, transformers were often designed to be most energy efficient at 80-100% of full load. Most transformers installed in commercial and educational buildings are rarely loaded above 50% and spend maybe a third of their life not even this high. Because of this load profile, over the years the Dept of Energy created and implemented requirements for general purpose transformers to be most efficient at 35% loading.

So yes, unloaded transformers today are more efficient than in years gone past. The amount of improvement varies by manufacturer and transformer size.
To this point, the new energy efficient transformers will be labeled as meeting “NEMA TP-1-2002” specifications. So if you are curious, get the specs on the new transformer and see if it says that anywhere.

kwired

Electron manager
What kind of loading do you anticipate having on this transformer? If you plan to be in an idle state quite often then it may be more worth changing to more efficient unit than if you do intend to be loaded quite often.

The heat loss is totally waste loss during cooling season, during heating season it lessens heating load and is not total loss, unless transformer is in a space you don't need heated.

gar

Occupation
EE

RV6

Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea transformer efficiency has gone up dramatically in recent years. I think I will take my landlords offer and upgrade when I have more funds available. I will make sure that the new transformer meets NEMA TP-1-2002.

A upgraded transformer combined with replacing 400W metal halides high bay lights with LEDs should drop my demand and consumption dramatically. Especially since the transformer is right under the shop AC. :slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea transformer efficiency has gone up dramatically in recent years. I think I will take my landlords offer and upgrade when I have more funds available. I will make sure that the new transformer meets NEMA TP-1-2002.

A upgraded transformer combined with replacing 400W metal halides high bay lights with LEDs should drop my demand and consumption dramatically. Especially since the transformer is right under the shop AC. :slaphead:
Since you are renting/leasing space your usage of the space may not be what it was originally designed for. Possible you don't need as large of a transformer - food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.