ATS Size Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

We won a job just recently and the ATS's were 175A and now reduced to 125A via change order. They just got the order last week. I'm confused by the email the ATS vendor sent out saying no credit due to the size reduction. The client is expecting a credit and I would think going down to 125A would result in the ATS's being cheaper. Below is the response. Doesn't make sense to me.

The rating changes for the (3) ATSs is not going to impact the PO pricing since we already upsized all ATSs to accommodate the 65kAIC specific breaker WCR.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like they're saying that they gave you a short-circuit-interrupting rating upgrade without charge, and are now recouping the cost of their mistake.

nickelec

Im not an expert on those especially ordering them but 50a difference IMO shouldn't reflect a huge price difference anyone agree?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
We won a job just recently and the ATS's were 175A and now reduced to 125A via change order. They just got the order last week. I'm confused by the email the ATS vendor sent out saying no credit due to the size reduction. The client is expecting a credit and I would think going down to 125A would result in the ATS's being cheaper. Below is the response. Doesn't make sense to me.

The rating changes for the (3) ATSs is not going to impact the PO pricing since we already upsized all ATSs to accommodate the 65kAIC specific breaker WCR.
Just a guess - they priced you something with 175A breaker with high interrupt rating, now you are asking for 125A same high interrupt rating. To get same interrupt rating they may still need to use same frame size/type of breaker and maybe even other components of the assembly are same thing and cost of that doesn't really change.

mstrlucky74

Just a guess - they priced you something with 175A breaker with high interrupt rating, now you are asking for 125A same high interrupt rating. To get same interrupt rating they may still need to use same frame size/type of breaker and maybe even other components of the assembly are same thing and cost of that doesn't really change.

Thanks. So when you says interrupting rating you mean AIC?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
ATS's are typically either rated for 100A or 200A. (The 200A might actually be a 225A or a 250A depending on the brand.)

So I wouldn't expect any change in price unless you reduce it to 100 amps. (Edit: Both the 125A and 175A spec are going to require the same 200A ATS.)

And with the 65KAIC specific breaker rating may also prevent them from reducing the ATS size.

So I'm not surprised you aren't getting any savings.

ron

If the spec required a 65kA short circuit rating, they upsized the ATS to accommodate the rating to work with the specific withstand current rating (WCR) and now that you want to reduce the ampacity, it still doesn't change the switch size if you don't reduce the 65kA WCR requirement.

There will be a savings on your wire though.

Status
Not open for further replies.