Pull Boxes - Sheet Metal Locally Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use hundreds of custom pull boxes on every project and I have never seen a NRTL label on one of them so I'm guessing that the answer is no. I would think that they are designed and constructed to some standard (UL, NEMA) and follow the requirements of the NEC. I see on their company website they say that they're a UL50 manufacturer.

http://heftifab.com/sheet-metal-products.html

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would bet you can't just get some tin knocker to put together a jb. I am not sure what gauge is used on a box but, as trevor stated, there must be some standard. I would check with the authority having jurisdiction but afaik all electrical components must be listed unless they will approve it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't have the book in front of me but I'm thinking that pull boxes would need to identified as defined in Article 100 and not explicitly listed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't know about SC but in NC they would/could be required to be listed per a statute even though the NEC doen't require it.

� 66‑25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods.
All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. This evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures.
In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires.
The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories. (1933, c. 555, s. 3; 1989, c. 681, s. 1.)

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Take care as there are NEC construction specifications for most all boxes, wireways, etc and, in some cases, they are required to be listed (see 376.10 for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.