Emergency Bodine LED drive quesion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

1) Can I use an emergency bodine driver on a suspended linear fixture or do they only work for recessed fixtures?

2) If I have a 40W LED fixture, can I use a 20W bodine driver (maximum they make, I checked on their site) and it will operate the fixture just fine? (granted half or less output)

Thanks

gar

Occupation
EE
190808-1702 EDT

Designer69:

I can see why you are confused.

I looked at various web sites relative to Bodine LED drivers. Very little needed information to answer your questions.

As best I can determine the Bodine devices are backup power supplies for LED fixtures. How they work, and what they do, and what application problems may exist I did not find.

Bodine may require the fixture to be dimmable. My guess is that this would be necessary. But they say the output is a sine wave. Many dimmable LED devices are not dimmable by adjusting the amplitude of a sine wave, and require phase shift dimmining. Not clear how Bodine works with 0-10 V dimming.

When power is present is the Bodine doing anything except resting and charging? If that is all, then switching to it as a power source on loss of AC power must be part of Bodine.

On loss of AC power Bodine apparently switches to become the power source, and operates in a power limited mode.

1) Can I use an emergency bodine driver on a suspended linear fixture or do they only work for recessed fixtures?
Linear or recessed is not the issue. The issue is whether the two items will work together, and this is a function of the design of the products.

2) If I have a 40W LED fixture, can I use a 20W bodine driver (maximum they make, I checked on their site) and it will operate the fixture just fine? (granted half or less output)
I would say that if they work, then yes. Part of the purpoae is to get dimmed output to increase battery life.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There are generally 2 types of emergency battery systems:

1) Those that output 120V (or some other line voltage) and feed the LED driver that is already on the fixture. These basically just replace the 120V supply when it is lost.

2) Those that actually have an LED driver designed to take over for the normal power driver when power is lost.

With #1, you probably need to size the output power for the fixture wattage. Otherwise, its hard to know what the fixtures driver will do when the input voltage drops.

With #2, you have be be much more careful to match the driver's output voltage and current to the LED chip board.

Most large, reputable lighting manufacturers include emergency ballasts as an option for their fixtures. Specify one of these and take the guess work out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.