texas calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny44

So I took the Texas state electrical Masters exam and these are questions that were on there. I want to check my work and see what i got wrong. i currently hold 2 states for electrical and i have 5 other trades in Florida. I have passed all my exams on the first try and this on part of the exam is giving me a problem. can someone answer these so i can check my work and see where i went wrong. Thanks in advance!!

These are some of the questions on the test.
You have 25,375 sq ft house. The service is 120/240 volt single phase. What is the minimum 15 amp 120 volt branch circuits?
You have a 535 sq ft house with 1 electric close dryer. What is the minimum size neutral conductor?
You have an office building with 50kw of lighting that operate at 15 min intervals. The service is 120/208. What is the feeder size?
You have 3 - 208volt 3 phase motors sized at 10hp, 5hp and 25hp. What size tapped conductor do you need?
You have a service with 4 100 amp rated disconnects. You have 2 disconnects at 83amps, 1 Disconnect at 92.5 amps and the last one at 45 amps. What size conductors and over current device for your feeders?
You have a garbage disposal and a dish washer connected to 1 20 amp 120 volt circuit what is the max amperage for the Dish washer?
You have 10 electric cars rated at 30 amps a piece at 120/240 volt. What size conductors do you need for the feeders?
You have a air conditioning rated at 65 amps. What is the size molded case switch
You have 9#12 thhn and 5 # 3 thhn. What size liquid flexible conduit do you need?
You have 21 dryers at 4.5kw what is the calculated power?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For the first one you use 3 VA/sq.ft

So 25,375 (one heck of a house) x 3 = 76,125VA

For a 15 amp cir you would have-- 15 x 120 = 1800va per circuit

76125/1800= 42.29 or 43 - 15 amp circuits

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For the second one you have to calculated the dwelling load but the dryer neutral is rated differently. Look at 220.61(B)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Given the small amount of load this service would be less than 100 amps but 100 amps is the minimum for a residence. The neutral for a 100 amp service may calculate to be small but it cannot be smaller than a number 8 which is the size required in 250.66 for the grounding electrode conductor

The calculation using standard method comes to 31 amps on the neutral so it would still require a number 8 neutral. I am assuming a #$ or even a number 2 service conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.