Age of old wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reference guide that identifies old wires, their composition, and when the were in use?
For example, silver braid, tar covered, etc.

When did the NEC first require that romex be labled along it's length? I recently came across a gray colored romex with no labeling, I have also seen black romex unlabeled.

Are there any of these old multiconductor cables that are unsafe and should be replaced when found?

Thanks in advance.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Age of old wiring

Does the wiring appear to be the original? County property records should show the age of the house.

bennie,
I looking for information on the multiconductor wires not the age of the house. The question is to help me identify the types of wiring along with the other questions I raised in my original post.
Thanks.

luke warmwater

I've never seen a book listing ages of wire types, there could be one. You could search Google.
By knowing the age of the house, that would approximate the wire type age if it is the original wiring.
The 'gray' NM could be when it was changed from 60degree to 90degree wire.
Black is still a common color for #8 and #6 NM. It was a common jacket color for Aluminum NM. and it was common color for 60degree rated.
The tar/cloth came after knob and tube.
A Forum search or Google search will help you determine the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.