New format and function not good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

190816-2033 EDT

This software should never have been put online without adequate testing. Further competent people should have been doing the development work. If this were supplied to an to an automotive plant for production purposes the supplier would be out of business by now.

Ideas from someone sitting behind a desk detached from the real world, and not tested in the real world application is no way to develop systems or software. I see the results of this approach in many areas.

I like using self-service checkout at the grocery store, or other stores. Most of this physical equipment, and software is not well designed, keeps changing, and not necessarily in a better direction. However, there are ways in which the equipment is quite good. Usually it is accurate, which is vitally important. The problems are mostly in human interface, both mechanical and electronic.

Comment

Originally posted by junkhound View Post
      add to yuk colunm so far

cannot access from explorer, only from chrome - my coputer or general
      FWIW, even though IE used to be the standard for website support, it is now deprecated, even by Microsoft. Anything that uses recent HTML extensions is likely to fail with IE. Not to mention its extensive security problems which are no longer being patched.

Comment

Right now forum is very obviously not working well, hopefully whoever is responsible realizes this and will fix it, OK I'll be patient

But what I don't completely understand is why can't it work as well as other forums? (ET for example, there are glitches but works OK as long as I block ads). Did someone try to design a forum from scratch? Why not do whatever is working elsewhere?

I like "1st unread post" feature on ET and the old MH, hope we get it back
        Think for yourself, while its still somewhat legal!
        Clarkesville, Georgia

Comment

I see Larry Fine "has a spectaculor aura about" when I hover over that bar under his name, versus the "will become famous soon enough" under most other names. But I sorta don't care.
          Think for yourself, while its still somewhat legal!
          Clarkesville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by readydave8 View Post
            I see Larry Fine "has a spectaculor aura about" when I hover over that bar under his name, versus the "will become famous soon enough" under most other names. But I sorta don't care.
            When I do it I mostly get 'is on a distinguished road'.
            Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
              If you're referring to me then you have it all wrong.
              Actually, Dennis has been the most critical about the criticism.
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

Comment

It’s getting better or I’m getting used to it.

What is a hamburger menu? I must not recognize it for what it is.

Location of poster was very important. Still is.

Are my Samsung and IPad considered mobile devices or just my cell phone? That would be part of my problems if the functionality is different from cell, iPad and desktop.

Tom
                TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post

FWIW, even though IE used to be the standard for website support, it is now deprecated, even by Microsoft. Anything that uses recent HTML extensions is likely to fail with IE. Not to mention its extensive security problems which are no longer being patched.
                  So what is the standard now?

Tom
                  TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

So what is the standard now?
                    The leading browser in terms of use seems to be Chrome. It has an excellent HTML5 implementation. Firefox still has a lot of advocates. Microsoft wants you to use Edge instead of IE, but it does not have much market penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                      It’s getting better or I’m getting used to it.

What is a hamburger menu? I must not recognize it for what it is.

Location of poster was very important. Still is.

Are my Samsung and IPad considered mobile devices or just my cell phone? That would be part of my problems if the functionality is different from cell, iPad and desktop.

A hamburger menu is a small square array of three equal length horizontal lines. When you click on it a menu drops down with the different available options, including the critically important "New Threads" which is implemented to show a list of threads which contain unread posts, with the newest first. Pretty much what people need to read and respond to new posts.
                      The other search filters are all oriented to Posts. The result is a list of (unread?) Posts with newest first. If you want to view them in context in a thread you have to select the Post and then view the entire thread.

The iPad, using iOS instead of OS X, is generally considered to be a mobile device. The operating system and platform are more important in deciding what website view to use.
                      Some mobile browsers, such as Puffin, allow you to lie about your platform and get access to the standard browser view. Some websites give you the option of using the standard view even from a "mobile" platform. Our site does not.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post

Actually, Dennis has been the most critical about the criticism.
                        Not so much critical but surprised that everyone is blown away by it all. The last upgrade had similar responses although I admit less issue but members wanted to stay with the old forum.

Believe me when I say I have issues with the new format also but I also did with the last upgrade. Your eyes get used to the styles, colors etc and it takes time to get used to it.
                        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                        I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                          ...Your eyes get used to the styles, colors etc and it takes time to get used to it.
                          You still think those are what this is about? Where is the comprehensive list of New Topics that shows new posts BY THREAD? I'm not going to search each individual forum. I've seen this "style, colors etc" on other forum sites and can still use them. No, I can't find a "hamburger menu," either. Have never heard that term in using computers for 35 years, but so be it. I still don't have one.

SOMETHING WAS DONE SIGNIFICANTLY WRONG ON THIS DOWNGRADE. And no one seems to care.

Comment

Originally posted by rcarroll View Post
                            Why is this thread in the electrical calculations & engineering section?
                            Because an engineer started it.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

You still think those are what this is about? Where is the comprehensive list of New Topics that shows new posts BY THREAD? I'm not going to search each individual forum. I've seen this "style, colors etc" on other forum sites and can still use them. No, I can't find a "hamburger menu," either. Have never heard that term in using computers for 35 years, but so be it. I still don't have one.

SOMETHING WAS DONE SIGNIFICANTLY WRONG ON THIS DOWNGRADE. And no one seems to care.
                              Trust me the IT guys are working non stop on this. We do care but we cannot work miracles.
                              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

The speed issue seems to be fine in the AM. As the day goes on it get very slow.
                                I also notice a number of threads that say there are zero responses yet when you open them, there are in fact responses.

Comment

Working...
                                X