New format and function not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190816-2033 EDT

This software should never have been put online without adequate testing. Further competent people should have been doing the development work. If this were supplied to an to an automotive plant for production purposes the supplier would be out of business by now.

Ideas from someone sitting behind a desk detached from the real world, and not tested in the real world application is no way to develop systems or software. I see the results of this approach in many areas.

I like using self-service checkout at the grocery store, or other stores. Most of this physical equipment, and software is not well designed, keeps changing, and not necessarily in a better direction. However, there are ways in which the equipment is quite good. Usually it is accurate, which is vitally important. The problems are mostly in human interface, both mechanical and electronic.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
add to yuk colunm so far

cannot access from explorer, only from chrome - my coputer or general

FWIW, even though IE used to be the standard for website support, it is now deprecated, even by Microsoft. Anything that uses recent HTML extensions is likely to fail with IE. Not to mention its extensive security problems which are no longer being patched.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Right now forum is very obviously not working well, hopefully whoever is responsible realizes this and will fix it, OK I'll be patient

But what I don't completely understand is why can't it work as well as other forums? (ET for example, there are glitches but works OK as long as I block ads). Did someone try to design a forum from scratch? Why not do whatever is working elsewhere?

I like "1st unread post" feature on ET and the old MH, hope we get it back

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I see Larry Fine "has a spectaculor aura about" when I hover over that bar under his name, versus the "will become famous soon enough" under most other names. But I sorta don't care.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It’s getting better or I’m getting used to it.

What is a hamburger menu? I must not recognize it for what it is.

Location of poster was very important. Still is.

Are my Samsung and IPad considered mobile devices or just my cell phone? That would be part of my problems if the functionality is different from cell, iPad and desktop.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It’s getting better or I’m getting used to it.

What is a hamburger menu? I must not recognize it for what it is.

Location of poster was very important. Still is.

Are my Samsung and IPad considered mobile devices or just my cell phone? That would be part of my problems if the functionality is different from cell, iPad and desktop.

A hamburger menu is a small square array of three equal length horizontal lines. When you click on it a menu drops down with the different available options, including the critically important "New Threads" which is implemented to show a list of threads which contain unread posts, with the newest first. Pretty much what people need to read and respond to new posts.
The other search filters are all oriented to Posts. The result is a list of (unread?) Posts with newest first. If you want to view them in context in a thread you have to select the Post and then view the entire thread.

The iPad, using iOS instead of OS X, is generally considered to be a mobile device. The operating system and platform are more important in deciding what website view to use.
Some mobile browsers, such as Puffin, allow you to lie about your platform and get access to the standard browser view. Some websites give you the option of using the standard view even from a "mobile" platform. Our site does not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Actually, Dennis has been the most critical about the criticism.

Not so much critical but surprised that everyone is blown away by it all. The last upgrade had similar responses although I admit less issue but members wanted to stay with the old forum.

Believe me when I say I have issues with the new format also but I also did with the last upgrade. Your eyes get used to the styles, colors etc and it takes time to get used to it.

MAC702

...Your eyes get used to the styles, colors etc and it takes time to get used to it.

You still think those are what this is about? Where is the comprehensive list of New Topics that shows new posts BY THREAD? I'm not going to search each individual forum. I've seen this "style, colors etc" on other forum sites and can still use them. No, I can't find a "hamburger menu," either. Have never heard that term in using computers for 35 years, but so be it. I still don't have one.

SOMETHING WAS DONE SIGNIFICANTLY WRONG ON THIS DOWNGRADE. And no one seems to care.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You still think those are what this is about? Where is the comprehensive list of New Topics that shows new posts BY THREAD? I'm not going to search each individual forum. I've seen this "style, colors etc" on other forum sites and can still use them. No, I can't find a "hamburger menu," either. Have never heard that term in using computers for 35 years, but so be it. I still don't have one.

SOMETHING WAS DONE SIGNIFICANTLY WRONG ON THIS DOWNGRADE. And no one seems to care.

Trust me the IT guys are working non stop on this. We do care but we cannot work miracles.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The speed issue seems to be fine in the AM. As the day goes on it get very slow.
I also notice a number of threads that say there are zero responses yet when you open them, there are in fact responses.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
It's clear that the natives are unhappy about this updated software. While I'm not a forum software expert and there are many vendors of forum software, I do know that vBulletin is a player. This seems to be an implementation issue rather than a flawed product and hopefully we have some folks behind this that can sort it all out.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Check out this forum that I belong to, see how you like it. Apparently uses the same software but I can't determine the version.

https://forums.jlconline.com/forums/forum

-Hal

It certainly looks like a vBulletln based board. The version is somewhere in the v5 area since it uses JSON syntax in the query string portion of the URL.
like vBulletin based down

gar

Occupation
EE
190819-0923 EDT

Seems like the forum has more problems today than before. In some respects it is a mess. A return to the previous software should done. Then throughly debug the new before imposing it on the general user.

Loading a revised software version should not require 10s of hours of load time.

Create a new web site in which to do your experimenting. Leave the regular site in a working condition.

As I said before, if you were supplying software to an automotive production line, then way before now you would be out of business.

​​​​​​​.

Status
Not open for further replies.