Residential generator and 200 amp transfer switch 150 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Residential transfer switches appear to be available in 100 or 200 amp sizes. I would like to install a 150 amp main panel.

If I have a 200 amp transfer switch would the conductors from the METER to TRANSFER SWITCH to MAIN PANEL all have to be sized for 200 amps?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Not necessarily.

Automatic transfer switch or manual? Is there a breaker or service disconnect ahead of the transfer switch. You only need to protect equipment equal to or less than its rating so it would be acceptable to feed a 200A switch from a 150A service disconnect.

Greg1707

Occupation
This is for an automatic transfer switch. Are the cables, SEC to switch and SER from switch to panel, required to be sized for 200 amp?

ron

The ATS can be any size equal to or larger than the calculated load per Article 220.
The service and conductor size connected to the ATS can be any size equal to or larger than the calculated load per Article 220, although the protection cannot be larger than the rating or ampacity of anything downstream.

So for example, if you calculate a 100A load , the ATS can be 200A and the service size can be 100A

Greg1707

Occupation
Thanks, I failed to realize that I can change the main breaker within transfer switch. I can install a 150 amp breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.