Wire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire Size

Have 120/208 3P 4W 100A being fed from 3P 40A breaker. One drawing asking for 4#6 & another drawing asking for 4#8’s. Conductors should be sized off 40A breakers, correct? So #8’s ok.

As long as there are no adjustments needed that reduce #8 to less than 40 amps, yes #8 is minimum size needed here per NEC.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Long distance may merit #6 but as kwired stated the #8 is compliant. I would definitely ask the engineer and get this corrected on the drawings
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

It might also be a future consideration; ie 40 A now with a possibility of bumping to 60A later without having to pull new conductors.
        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
          It might also be a future consideration; ie 40 A now with a possibility of bumping to 60A later without having to pull new conductors.
          Why not install the 60 amp breaker now if that is the case? Especially if is three pole or a 277/480 volt breaker. Your double pole plug on breakers 60 amp and below are usually pretty inexpensive and there is a possibility you put in a 40 now, though I'd still normally put in the 60 now if that was the reason.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
            Have 120/208 3P 4W 100A being fed from 3P 40A breaker. One drawing asking for 4#6 & another drawing asking for 4#8’s. Conductors should be sized off 40A breakers, correct? So #8’s ok.
            Either conductor size is code compliant I would use the #8 unless there is a voltage drop concern.
            Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Working...
            X