RV Park 240v vs 208

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Park 240v vs 208

Do RVs actually use any L-L voltages internally?

Im working on an RV park and there are several that are under construction in my area. I was given some drawings to use as reference and I noticed that the reference designs go out of their way to provide 240v to the RV sites for the 50A receptacles. The reference designs either show a 120/240-1 service that results in a massive service, (or) show a 480v service with single phase transformers.

I know that Shore Power for boats do require 240v because they utilize control transformers internally and if 208v is brought to a boat it could become an issue.

However, from what I can tell, all the loads within an RV are actually 120v. Therefore, a 120/208-3 source would really have no impact. Im sure there is some exception where an RV may have a L-L load however chances are that could likely run off of 208v like most other loads.

I've never seen an RV with 2-pole loads, and I've worked on several, old and new.

Comment

If you read article 551 you will see that there are rec vehicles that use 120/240v 50 amp or 120/208 50 amp. Maybe they use electric heat and a/c....
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

551.72(C)

I believe that is saying you must feed a 50-amp 125/250V receptacle with 120/240 not 120/208. Same as 555.19(A)(3), the informational note is note worthy.

Comment

From what I know, Rvs that need a 30A only have one A/C unit and the 50A ones have two A/C units. But I don't think the two unit ones are L-L just two 120V circuits. You run a 2-pole (L-L) 240V to split the 120V loads.
          [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
            From what I know, Rvs that need a 30A only have one A/C unit and the 50A ones have two A/C units. But I don't think the two unit ones are L-L just two 120V circuits. You run a 2-pole (L-L) 240V to split the 120V loads.
            I believe Bill is correct but not sure when it comes to clothes dryers that may be installed.

Comment

Be aware of EV charging, which tolerates both but usually is faster at 240V.

Comment

I work on an annual event where we power 50 or so large RVs for a week from a couple towable diesel generators. All 3 phase 120/208 generators and distribution and 50 amp 4 wire connections for the RVs. I have never seen one of these rigs with any L-L loads.

Comment

And a dryer works perfectly on 208v, with the element at 75% of 240v power.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

We're also working on a design for an RV park. After talking it over with a tech from a large RV service center it was determined that even the biggest RV's with dual 50 amp cords still use only L-N loads.

At this point, we are figuring on two services at 208/120v 3 phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd0x1 View Post
                      I work on an annual event where we power 50 or so large RVs for a week from a couple towable diesel generators. All 3 phase 120/208 generators and distribution and 50 amp 4 wire connections for the RVs. I have never seen one of these rigs with any L-L loads.
                      If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow View Post
                        We're also working on a design for an RV park. After talking it over with a tech from a large RV service center it was determined that even the biggest RV's with dual 50 amp cords still use only L-N loads.

At this point, we are figuring on two services at 208/120v 3 phase.

Comment

Multiquote is not working after the update.

Comment

See 551.40(A). Any Line to Line loads or equipment installed in an RV must have a voltage rating of 208-230 volts.

So 208V will work with any L-L RV load.

Comment

Working...
                            X