Breaker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

I did not intend to imply it was a backfed load breaker. Sorry. Are you describing what I call a double tandem? Like this?

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post

Here is an example of a > 125 amp plug on:

https://www.amazon.com/Homeline-Circ.../dp/B008HKAJGA
      Apparently they have Homeline versions also. But those do look sort of like a four separate units with a handle tie, the QO version has no handle ties and because of that look has less confusion to be thought of as multiple single pole units that are simply tied together.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
        It would have to have appropriate bus connector on one end. Square D QO has 150-225 amp breakers that take up two panel spaces per pole - they just don't happen to look like four (or six) single pole units with a handle tie, wouldn't be surprised if others don't have similar though.
        There may be different variants, but I’ve bought 150A QO breakers that use two spaces on each side (crossing the bus left to right) and Homeline 150A breakers that look exactly like the OP picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        [COLOR="Blue"]Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by brantmacga View Post

There may be different variants, but I’ve bought 150A QO breakers that use two spaces on each side (crossing the bus left to right) and Homeline 150A breakers that look exactly like the OP picture.

Haven't run into one for a while, but with QO version mentioned I think even though it doesn't fully cross both left and right sides of the panel, it still utilizes enough of the bus connection that you can't mount another breaker on opposite side from it.

Long ago QO had 70 or 80 amp and larger breakers that physically mounted onto both left and right side foot rails, but that design was retired by at least 1980ish maybe even closer to 1970.

Comment

Long ago QO had 70 or 80 amp and larger breakers that physically mounted onto both left and right side foot rails, but that design was retired by at least 1980ish maybe even closer to 1970.
            The 150A I mentioned mounted this way. I want to say I may have actually been a 3-pole breaker I installed in a 400A panel.

Comment

Haven't run into one for a while, but with QO version mentioned I think even though it doesn't fully cross both left and right sides of the panel, it still utilizes enough of the bus connection that you can't mount another breaker on opposite side from it.

Here’s a relevant picture I got today. .. farm neighbor called to ask about replacing an outdoor loadcenter, sent me this pic.... check the 150A in the bottom taking up 8 spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by brantmacga View Post

Here’s a relevant picture I got today. .. farm neighbor called to ask about replacing an outdoor loadcenter, sent me this pic.... check the 150A in the bottom taking up 8 spaces.

That is old enough panel that back when it was new even 80-125 amp breakers went all the way across both sides of panel and took 4 spaces for a two pole breaker.

I don't think a 150-225 amp today mounts all the way across like that, but possibly still takes up enough bus area that the other side is not usable for branch breakers.

Comment

Working...
                X