Breaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Haven't run into one for a while, but with QO version mentioned I think even though it doesn't fully cross both left and right sides of the panel, it still utilizes enough of the bus connection that you can't mount another breaker on opposite side from it.

Long ago QO had 70 or 80 amp and larger breakers that physically mounted onto both left and right side foot rails, but that design was retired by at least 1980ish maybe even closer to 1970.

Here’s a relevant picture I got today. .. farm neighbor called to ask about replacing an outdoor loadcenter, sent me this pic.... check the 150A in the bottom taking up 8 spaces.

b2e823a0539b499c640d30a3c7569a28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Here’s a relevant picture I got today. .. farm neighbor called to ask about replacing an outdoor loadcenter, sent me this pic.... check the 150A in the bottom taking up 8 spaces.

b2e823a0539b499c640d30a3c7569a28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is old enough panel that back when it was new even 80-125 amp breakers went all the way across both sides of panel and took 4 spaces for a two pole breaker.

I don't think a 150-225 amp today mounts all the way across like that, but possibly still takes up enough bus area that the other side is not usable for branch breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.