Ampacity of URD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It seems a cable could overcome 31.8% overload in cable duct for 4 hrs.-for instance- but transformer only 5%.

See IEEE 5796/1993 Table 6 compare with IEEE 242/2001 9.5.2 Overload capacity[for cable].

I thought if one intends to replace the actual transformer with another larger and keep the secondary cable.

Can you copy and paste the table?

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
See attachment[if it succeeded!]

Attachments

• IEEE Std C5796.jpg
    IEEE Std C5796.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 12

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You mean a trafo can take an overload because it has thermal mass, but not a cable?

A transformer has inherent thermal mass. A cable in free air does not have enough thermal mass to be a factor in an overload situation as opposed to a fault situation. But the same cable in a duct has an ambient temperature which is dependent on the temperature of the surrounding earth, which in turn does have a significant thermal mass in addition to a thermal resistance.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
I agree with you, GoldDigger. I took a cable of more than 250 mcm XLPE insulated in duct bank. If one will take 250 mcm PVC insulated, in air [no conduit] the maximum overload permissible will be only 11%.[still more then for a standard dry-type distribution transformer.]

Status
Not open for further replies.