• Show
Clear All

Anybody Know What This Is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Square.png
Views:	405
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2537828

I know what this is now, but it wasn't until a week after I found it, when I correlated the schematics to this part. Does anybody know what the thing labeled "D" is? If so, how did you know? There's no part number or manufacturing information on the component. FYI, it's just a component on a back panel, next to some fuses, relays, etc. Here's a zoomed out view:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Square Area.png
Views:	361
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	2537829

Relay.

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
      Relay.
      Like a relay base? That was my guess too. I was wrong though. I want to wait and see if someone can identify it before the big reveal.

Comment

I t looks like some encapsulated diodes.
        Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by That Man View Post

Like a relay base? That was my guess too. I was wrong though. I want to wait and see if someone can identify it before the big reveal.
          This crowd doesn't run like that. They will want to know, like......... NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jim dungar View Post

A full wave rectifier. . .the "D" label denotes the DC output. It is bolted to the back plate that will serve as heat sink.

Comment

Originally posted by jim dungar View Post
              I agree-- bridge rectifier-- AC in, DC out.

Comment

That's right. That tiny little thing is a rectifier. I've never seen one in the field before, apparently. I guess I thought they would be bigger, and have some sort of label. This forum's great.

Comment

Originally posted by myspark View Post

A full wave rectifier. . .the "D" label denotes the DC output. It is bolted to the back plate that will serve as heat sink.
                  I dunno... the ones I've seen have AC on one pair of diagonals, DC on the other...

Comment

Looks like a full wave rectifier to me. The D is a ?, but I would have had my handy dandy T+ on there pretty quick to verify.

Tom
                    TBLO

Comment

I'm with the bridge rectifier crowd. They come smaller and larger. I'm used to symbols for AC in and DC out, not a D on the heat sink extension.

Comment

Yep, diode bridge rectifier.

The one terminal that is at 90 deg. to all the others is always the + DC terminal, the - DC terminal is always kitty-corner to it, then the other two corners are the AC terminals.That way you can't mess up and put AC in the DC side or vice-versa (if you know that...).
                        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Cast my vote.
                          Rectifier.
                          That isn’t what the “D” is for though. That is the labeling for the schematics.
                          we have lots of them in 115kV breakers.
                          AC in, DC out, as stated.
                          Had one CCVT at a station that was a little low on output. Kept blowing out rectifiers.
                          Ended up putting a small 500VA series XF in to boost the voltage up to about 130V..

Comment

I've been into electronics since I was a kid (physically, I mean). I recognized the full-wave bridge rectifier immediately, probably with a 25-amp rating.
                            Master Electrician
                            Electrical Contractor
                            Richmond, VA

Comment

Some type of rectifier was my first thought too. I guess you just have to have seen them before. Not sure if anyone could know if it is half wave or full wave just by looking at it, though.

Another clue includes 4 wires/terminals (Although I'm not sure who made them all black - bad planning on the part of whoever assembled this panel, IMO.)

Also, its usually obvious there is both AC and DC in the panel . For example, AC input from a 120V panel, and relays with DC coils). I would normally expect to also see a step down transformer, and either a power supply or at least some filter caps.

Comment

Working...
                              X