Isolation Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isolation Transformer

I Just want to know that, Do we need isolation transformer for Computer loads and its associated Data/server racks.
    My previous experience say no we don't need it for computer load.
    I am on a hospital project where we are proposing Isolation transformer for ICU, ORs and medical equipment but my peer reviewer is of the view that we need isolation transformer for Data/computers load also.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [COLOR=#ff0000]If you don't know, ask those who knows[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Sajid khan View Post
    I Just want to know that, Do we need isolation transformer for Computer loads and its associated Data/server racks.
    I am on a hospital project where we are proposing Isolation transformer for ICU, ORs and medical equipment but my peer reviewer is of the view that we need isolation transformer for Data/computers load also.

I've not come across one required for that application. And I don't see why one would.

Comment

There could be a good reason to do it, but it is not a code requirement.
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra View Post
        There could be a good reason to do it, but it is not a code requirement.
        Not sure that the NEC applies where Sajid is from..........

Comment

Questions...
          How stable and predictable is your power source and the associated grounding and bonding practices?
          do you have surges or spikes that would cause the data center to be damaged?
          why are you doing it for the other equipment?
          Using UPS? Will the associated harmonics going back to the mains be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Besoeker3 View Post

Not sure that the NEC applies where Sajid is from..........
            NEC is not applied here but i need a general openion

Comment

Originally posted by Hv&Lv View Post

Questions...
              How stable and predictable is your power source and the associated grounding and bonding practices?
              do you have surges or spikes that would cause the data center to be damaged?
              why are you doing it for the other equipment?
              Using UPS? Will the associated harmonics going back to the mains be a problem?
              Power source is not much stable as we have backup generators
              Yes we have a problem of surges and spikes during lightning and switching on and off of mechanical equipments
              Other equipment comprise of ORs and ICus equipment which are sensitive to harmonics and isolation transformers usually required for such applications
              Yes UPS harmonics in the mains is a problem..

Comment

Power source is not much stable as we have backup generators
                Yes we have a problem of surges and spikes during lightning and switching on and off of mechanical equipments
                Other equipment comprise of ORs and ICus equipment which are sensitive to harmonics and isolation transformers usually required for such applications
                Yes UPS harmonics in the mains is a problem..

That kind of answers your question.
                I would definitely put the isolation transformer in.

Comment

I think that harmonic mitigating transformers would be a more appropriate choice.

https://www.hammondpowersolutions.co...ng-transformer
                  The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Comment

Originally posted by Hv&Lv View Post

That kind of answers your question.
                    I would definitely put the isolation transformer in.
                    An isolation transformer is not a fix for those issues.

Comment

191010-1101 EDT

What is an isolation transformer? That needs to be defined.

I would not classify an ordinary transformer as an isolation transformer. It does provide DC isolation, and it does more or less remove common mode noise, but does not remove normal mode noise. See
                      https://micro.rohm.com/en/techweb/kn.../01-s-emc/6899
                      Nor does an ordinary transformer prevent capacitive coupling from primary to secondary.

Generally I would expect the definition of an isolation transformer as having an electrostatic shield added to an ordinary transformer.

Will an isolation transformer solve all the different problems Sajid has? No.

So the real question is what are the real problems?

Short time voltage drop out, a few cycles, could be very important. This will require a motor generator with lots of inertia, or an electronic UPS.

High voltage spikes can probably be reduced with voltage clampers (MOVs and other devices).

High frequency noise will require filters.

Internal problems like differential ground path noise require some sort of isolation, or using differential signaling circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by gar View Post
                        191010-1101 EDT

Um......one where the primary and secondary are not electrically connected?

Comment

Originally posted by gar View Post
                          191010-1101 EDT

I would not classify an ordinary transformer as an isolation transformer. It does provide DC isolation, and it does more or less remove common mode noise, but does not remove normal mode noise. See
                          https://micro.rohm.com/en/techweb/kn.../01-s-emc/6899
                          Nor does an ordinary transformer prevent capacitive coupling from primary to secondary.

Generally I would expect the definition of an isolation transformer as having an electrostatic shield added to an ordinary transformer.

Will an isolation transformer solve all the different problems Sajid has? No.

So the real question is what are the real problems?

Short time voltage drop out, a few cycles, could be very important. This will require a motor generator with lots of inertia, or an electronic UPS.

High voltage spikes can probably be reduced with voltage clampers (MOVs and other devices).

High frequency noise will require filters.

Internal problems like differential ground path noise require some sort of isolation, or using differential signaling circuits.

Yes By isolation transformer i mean the transformer with electrostatic shielding that will be used to suppress harmonics.

Comment

Yes By isolation transformer i mean the transformer with electrostatic shielding that will be used to suppress harmonics.

It won't suppress harmonics.
                            You need a filter for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Besoeker3 View Post

An isolation transformer is not a fix for those issues.
                              http://www.isca.in/IJES/Archive/v6/i...S-2017-053.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X