No announcement yet.

Isolation Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you need a true on-line UPS. Given that you have generators that implies you will have an ATS. Typically it is more economical to run 3 phase 480 and have a transformer near/in the UPS to get the 3 phase 208 (or whatever you use in your area).

I have been involved with hospitals for 40+ years now and it is a sad fact that Data/I.T. gets a more robust electrical system.

Comment

191010-2100 EDT

Besoeker3:

The word transformer without any modifier usually means a transformer with multiple separate windings that are not conductively connected internally in the transformer, and/or share the same current paths.

When a modifier is added to transformer, then it implies something is different. So we have as examples auto-transformers, constant voltage transformers, RF transformers, and the isolation transformer.

If the primary voltage has harmonic content, then the electrostatic shield of an isolation transformer will have no effect on that harmonic content. Filtering is required.

Comment

Originally posted by gar View Post
        191010-2100 EDT

Besoeker3:

The word transformer without any modifier usually means a transformer with multiple separate windings that are not conductively connected internally in the transformer, and/or share the same current paths.

When a modifier is added to transformer, then it implies something is different. So we have as examples auto-transformers, constant voltage transformers, RF transformers, and the isolation transformer.

If the primary voltage has harmonic content, then the electrostatic shield of an isolation transformer will have no effect on that harmonic content. Filtering is required.

Agree. Define your problems and then look for solutions. Perhaps, the guy may have been given a clue on how somebody did solve his own problem! But unique problems need unique solutions, IMO.

Comment

From the paper:

"It decreases current waveform distortion and improves power factor."

That's just wrong.
          As I, and others here have noted, it will not mitigate harmonics.

Comment

Originally posted by Besoeker3 View Post
            From the paper:

"It decreases current waveform distortion and improves power factor."

That's just wrong.
            As I, and others here have noted, it will not mitigate harmonics.
            http://www.apqpower.com/assets/files...mMitigTech.pdf

I’ve never used this for this application. I have read several papers on it and have seen some put in installations that use them for this purpose.

i will assume every paper I have ever read on this subject is wrong then...

Comment

Now now...

I was in the power electronics for over 50 years. Design and manufacture. I still do consultancy in that field.
              At the tender stage, we had to guarantee efficiency and compliance on harmonics compliance. Failure to meet and demonstrate that we had met that compliance could mean either swingeing financial penalties or flat out rejection of the kit - and no payment at all. Neither of those happened.

I did all the fundamental design calculations. Including the mitigating measures for harmonic compliance. What can I say?

Comment

Thanks all for the nice words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                [COLOR=#ff0000]If you don't know, ask those who knows[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X