Automatic Transfer Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Transfer Switch

Anyone know of a 15-35kv indoor automatic transfer switch? Were they ever made? Or do I need to use standard MV gear with breakers and VT cubicles?

Basically I have two sources and one transformer requiring an economical way to switch between the two.

Maybe a place to ask?>>

https://www.enercon-eng.com/ATS

http://www.russelectric.com/products/transfer-switches/medium-voltage-circuit-breaker-type-ats/

~RJ~

Comment

Thanks

Though both seem to utilize breakers?

I think S&C does something with omni-rupters / alduti rupters and motor operators on their gear.

https://www.sandc.com/en/products--s...-distribution/

Comment

ASCO has a 15kV version which is essentially (2) Metalclad cubicles
        https://download.schneider-electric....S-BR-7000MVPTS
        Ron

Comment

Once you get into 15kV class and up MV, open air break equipment gets a bit hairy, hence the use of VCBs. Then once you have VCBs, fault containment and isolation gets more important, hence the metal clad cubicles. So what the ATS mfrs really do here is to make an Automatic Transfer Controller (ATC) that uses regular MV switchgear as the power switching devices.
          __________________________________________________ ____________________________
          Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
            Once you get into 15kV class and up MV, open air break equipment gets a bit hairy, hence the use of VCBs. Then once you have VCBs, fault containment and isolation gets more important, hence the metal clad cubicles. So what the ATS mfrs really do here is to make an Automatic Transfer Controller (ATC) that uses regular MV switchgear as the power switching devices.
            What do you mean by hairy?

Comment

Here is the none vacuum version for discussion purposes...:

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post

What do you mean by hairy?
                Retrieving an 11kV air break switch cubicle door from outside the building springs to mind. I don’t know why we bothered, there was nothing left of the switch to attach it to.
                [COLOR=#000000]The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony S View Post

Retrieving an 11kV air break switch cubicle door from outside the building springs to mind. I don’t know why we bothered, there was nothing left of the switch to attach it to.

Couldn't you just de-energize whats left?

Comment

It was a total write off. Enclosed air break switches at such voltages are a hazard.
                    [COLOR=#000000]The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony S View Post
                      It was a total write off. Enclosed air break switches at such voltages are a hazard.
                      In terms of compartments being opened while live? Or something else?

Comment

As a general rule, air break switches at those voltage levels are “hairy” because of the arcing when they open and relatively catastrophic failure mode. S&C switches however have that “arcless” opening feature (that I’ve never totally understood), so that does make them somewhat different in their market. But that’s unique to them as far as I know so the other ATS mfrs would not be designing their MV ATS offerings around it.

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

As a general rule, air break switches at those voltage levels are “hairy” because of the arcing when they open and relatively catastrophic failure mode. S&C switches however have that “arcless” opening feature (that I’ve never totally understood), so that does make them somewhat different in their market. But that’s unique to them as far as I know so the other ATS mfrs would not be designing their MV ATS offerings around it.
                          Thats what I have in mind. They can break full load- and I am confident in them because alduti and omni rupters are used on overhead gang operated switches without problem. I really like the concept, and to be frank I find breakers in an ATS application severe over kill. An MOD on an alduti rupter would be my choice IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post

Thats what I have in mind. They can break full load- and I am confident in them because alduti and omni rupters are used on overhead gang operated switches without problem. I really like the concept, and to be frank I find breakers in an ATS application severe over kill. An MOD on an alduti rupter would be my choice IMHO.
                            But does S&C offer it with a motorized operating mechanism option that can then be tied to an ATC? I've not worked with S&C much, I'm not familiar with their capabilities.

Comment

But does S&C offer it with a motorized operating mechanism option that can then be tied to an ATC? I've not worked with S&C much, I'm not familiar with their capabilities.
                              They have an offer and a cheezey (being honest) controller. If I am not mistaken such a controller was behind the Super Bowl power outage years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X