Downlights V/S Panel Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajid khan

I need some technical guidance in selecting light fixture types of different medical spaces such as:

§ Examination / Clinic rooms
§ ICUs, SICUs, PICUs
§ Patient corridors
§ Dialysis rooms
§ Triage
§ Treatment rooms etc.

The electrical designer has specified panel-type light fixtures (600mm x 600mm or 300mm x 1200mm) in false-ceiling areas. The architect on the other hand, is preferring to opt for round shaped (~150 - 200mm dia) down lighters instead of panel type fixtures in most of these rooms.

The designer has given justification of panel light fixtures mainly due to:

§ Better glare control vs. downlights
§ Fewer number of light fixtures, meaning fewer shadows
§ Better uniformity with less no. of fixtures

what are the prevailing practices in your experience and what are the technical justifications to prefer one over the other?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
What is the coverage area for the down-lighters compared to the panels? I wouldn't want circular 'brightness zones' from the down lighters, but if they spread the light widely enough, they could match the coverage of the panels. Then the decision would be one of economics!

I suspect the architect is trying to avoid an 'institutional' look, but (except for patient corridors) I think brightness and even light coverage should override decor!

Sajid khan

What is the coverage area for the down-lighters compared to the panels? I wouldn't want circular 'brightness zones' from the down lighters, but if they spread the light widely enough, they could match the coverage of the panels. Then the decision would be one of economics!

I suspect the architect is trying to avoid an 'institutional' look, but (except for patient corridors) I think brightness and even light coverage should override decor!

I think i should post it to lighting group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.