Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4160V Feeders

Hello,

I am managing a job that involves the installation of MV feeders throughout a large (old) airfield thats been turned into a park. These feeders are going from small substations to multiple buildings. The plans call for 4-4/0 5kV conductors for each feeder..and thats it. This is a 3-P setup, but it does not specify the neutral or ground. To my understanding, in this situation you would typically run 3 conductors with CN's and then a LV ground. So I'm a little confused as to what should be run for these feeders. The spec for the 5kV cables is MV-105 EPR. I'm not sure what the purpose of the 4th cable is for. Can somebody help me understand the purpose of that 4th conductor, and why it doesn't call for a ground cable?

Thanks,

if it is really a feeder it will need an equipment grounding conductor run with each circuit.
    Bob

Comment

Your details are scant. What are the transformer configurations? Is there a MV neutral? If it is a MGN system per 250.184(C) then there would not be an EGC. Otherwise, see 250.190(C)
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

MV feeders are often run as ungrounded delta, no neutral. Can’t tell from your limited info, but that would not be unusual.
        Last edited by Jraef; 11-20-19, 10:22 PM.
        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
          MV feeders are often run as ungrounded delta, no neutral. Can’t tell from your limited info, but that would not be unusual.
          Don't you still need to run an equipment grounding conductor even though you have an ungrounded system? I know you do with lower voltage systems.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

Don't you still need to run an equipment grounding conductor even though you have an ungrounded system? I know you do with lower voltage systems.
            The 4th conductor.
            __________________________________________________ ____________________________
            Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X