Mobile home feeder assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-men

I don't work on mobile homes much.They moved the old mobile home out and moved a hew mobile home in.
I have to install a new 100 amp feeder to the mobile home.The inspector says I have to use #3copper conductors The last time I installed a service & feeders for a 100 amp mobile home I used #4 copper from table 310.15
I always thought a mobile home was a dwelling.

rhombus65

In the 2002 NEC, Article 550, Definitions.

It defines a Mobile Home as "...designed to be used as a dwelling..."

Looks prety clear to me that it is a dwelling.

RUWired

rhombus,If this is from the disconnect in to the mobile home,Table 310.15(B)6 would'nt apply,for it is only for 3-wire services.Mobile homes require 4-wire.
Rick

iwire

Staff member
310.15(B)(6) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders. For dwelling units, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors, service lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to a dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor..........

RUWired

Bob,I see that you hylighted the with or without an equipment ground,But i think that after the disconnect for a mobile home or after any main disconnect, that it is not a main panel feeder any more. It then becomes a feeder.
Rick

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
310.15(B)(6) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders. For dwelling units, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors, service lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to a dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor..........
I changed the location of the bold in Bob's quote. I think it is pretty clear that the feeder conductors from the disconnect to the mobile home constitute the "main power feeder" and thus can be sized per 310.15(B)(6)

RUWired

Z-men, I stand corrected, :oops: The feeder conductors between the disconnect and panelboard are considered main power feeder conductors.Sorry for the misunderstanding of that article guy's.

(6) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders For individual dwelling units of one family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors, service lateral conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to each dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor. For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboards(s). The feeder conductors to a dwelling unit shall not be required to have an allowable ampacity rating greater than their service-entrance conductors. The grounded conductor shall be permitted to be smaller than the ungrounded conductors, provided the requirements of 215.2, 220.61, and 230.42 are met.[/b]
So why is the inspector requiring a #3cu then, did you find anything out!
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.